Malfunctioning convertible top

Suzette

Pushing the button for top to open and it went about half way and stopped. I tried to close it with the button since you cannot drive like that and it wouldn’t come back down. I called roadside assistance and while waiting the top slowly dropped itself down so I was able to continue to close and take home. The next morning I took it to Audi and they do not know what happened and have contacted Audi manufacturer. The manufacturer cannot decide if they are going to warranty the work since they don’t know what happened, they said I might have to claim it on my insurance...I bought the car last August 2020 (low miles, local trade, pristine condition) and paid for the full bumper to bumper warranty! Now they do not want to honor it?? The car has never been in an accident while in my care and I was parked on level parking lot when I tried to put the car down. Very frustrating! The top damaged the boot and trunk when it malfunctioned. Any thoughts? 

Has it worked properly since? Did they do any diagnostic work to see if there were any fault codes? 

I can't speak for the US but hear in the UK most of the warranties you can buy aren't worth the paper they're written on. 

They have not even tried to fix it yet, they sent pictures to the manufacturer. As far as I know they cannot find the reason it did this. But it looks like a costly repair so they don’t want to warranty the costs. Quite frustrating.

1 hour ago, Suzette said:

They have not even tried to fix it yet, they sent pictures to the manufacturer. As far as I know they cannot find the reason it did this. But it looks like a costly repair so they don’t want to warranty the costs. Quite frustrating.

Definitely frustrating.  Needs to go to main dealer for diagnostic work in my opinion. But don't hold your breath on any payout from warranty company

I agree, but it will soon be two weeks and they are stalling. What’s the point in selling me a $5,000 bumper to bumper warranty and then find out they won’t honor it. Praying that eventually they will do the right thing.

57 minutes ago, Suzette said:

I agree, but it will soon be two weeks and they are stalling. What’s the point in selling me a $5,000 bumper to bumper warranty and then find out they won’t honor it. Praying that eventually they will do the right thing.

$5000! That's crazy money. I'd definitely be expecting them to honour it. 

Agreed! And the vehicle still has 1 year factory bumper to bumper warranty. I just hate that they can’t wait to take your money for warranty but you play heck getting it to work for you!

10 minutes ago, Suzette said:

Agreed! And the vehicle still has 1 year factory bumper to bumper warranty. I just hate that they can’t wait to take your money for warranty but you play heck getting it to work for you!

It's the same here in the uk to be honest. I do hope you get to the bottom of it. I would recommend a diagnostic check to see what fault codes flag up

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I had same problem - Intermittent fault with soft top - Audi said I would have to have diagnostic test (£140) which would then decide if it was warranty claim or not - if not I'd have to pay for "Test" and any other remedial work.  If warranty company decided it was covered (??) then I would get the work done under warranty plus the £140 refunded.  Sounds VERY dubious and not worth the paper it's written on - I'm sure they would decide it wasn't covered....