A3 TDI Quattro (184) 8V (2016) - Extremely Low MPG

Mike Ashton

Hi, has anyone had severe mpg problems (averaging 21-22mpg) with a TDI quattro (184) S-tronic, my previous TDI FWD 8V (150) had an average around 45-50 mpg for 2013 plate.

This has to be one of worst mpg figures I've experiences in the last 20 years owning A3 diesels. The car has been regularly serviced and I use premium diesel fuels plus driving style is normal but I cover a lot of urban driving.

Appreciate any advice / recommendations.

Many thanks

Mike

The quattro system and s tronic will account for some of the mog loss over your previous a3. But it still shouldnt be that low I'd argue. My a6 achieves those kind of figures for urban and it's 19 years old with high mileage and has two more cylinders. Have you taken it to a garage to be looked at? 

Might be worth looking at a diagnostic check. Also what colour is the exhaust smoke. As the car running rich could account for it.  

Hi Steve,

I have had the car for about 4 months and have been monitoring the fuel uptake behaviour, the exhaust colour looks fine, yes agree I could take it in for a diagnostic check, no lights on the dash plus temperature is normal, engine noise is fine as well.

Just wondered if there was anything that could be done to improve the mpg apart from getting a Toyota Prius.....!!!

Thanks

Mike

4 hours ago, Mike Ashton said:

Hi Steve,

I have had the car for about 4 months and have been monitoring the fuel uptake behaviour, the exhaust colour looks fine, yes agree I could take it in for a diagnostic check, no lights on the dash plus temperature is normal, engine noise is fine as well.

Just wondered if there was anything that could be done to improve the mpg apart from getting a Toyota Prius.....!!!

Thanks

Mike

I do still think the mpg level is too low. There could still be an issue with the air fuel mixture. I'd say there could be an issue with the maf sensor but the only thing that questions my logic is that the car is running normally.