Judder when changing from 2nd to 1st gear

walsharoo

Hi All, 

I've just bought a 2010 Q5 TDI 3.0 Auto - which I love...but it has an issue.

When the car slows and nearly at a stop and the gear changes from 2nd to 1st there is a judder.  It feels a little like the car is about to stall for 1/2 a sec.

I took it back to the dealer and they advised they had had this issue before they sold it to me and they'd changed the megatronic unit which fixed the issue. 

They took the car in and told me they had checked the solenoids and a couple needed replacing.  Then a day later, that the car needed a new clutch, then a few days after that the car needed another new megatronic unit - all done under warranty.

When I finally got the car back, the problem seemed fixed until I'd driven the car for 10 miles or so and then the problem came back, albeit intermittently and less severe.

The judder seems worse when in S mode and hardly noticeably when shifting with the paddles. 

I'll be going back to them about it and I think I'll also get a 2nd opinion as my neighbour owns a garage but just wondered if anyone has experienced this issue or any advice?

Thanks W.

Is the issue maybe with the start/stop?

The only time that you are likely to go from 2nd to 1st is when you are coming to a complete stop. There normally is a judder type feeling when the engine is cut off by the system. 

I'm guessing you've had a car with start/stop before? 

Is you disable auto start/stop do you still get the judder? 

Besides that 2 mechatrtonic replacements and a clutch sounds like the dealer either knows more than they are letting on of they just don't know. 

4 minutes ago, Shytot said:

Is the issue maybe with the start/stop?

The only time that you are likely to go from 2nd to 1st is when you are coming to a complete stop. There normally is a judder type feeling when the engine is cut off by the system. 

I'm guessing you've had a car with start/stop before? 

Is you disable auto start/stop do you still get the judder? 

Besides that 2 mechatrtonic replacements and a clutch sounds like the dealer either knows more than they are letting on of they just don't know. 

Yeah, I've driven a Stop/Start before, but this car doesn't have it, the engine is definitely still running at a stop.  It does actually feel a little bit like Stop/Start but with a very slight lurch forward. 

The dealer does seem to want to help, but it is a bit worrying that they claim to have done all this work and the problem is still there.  

I think if the dealer can't get to the bottom of the issue before my 30 days, I think it'll go back.

15 minutes ago, walsharoo said:

Yeah, I've driven a Stop/Start before, but this car doesn't have it, the engine is definitely still running at a stop.  It does actually feel a little bit like Stop/Start but with a very slight lurch forward. 

The dealer does seem to want to help, but it is a bit worrying that they claim to have done all this work and the problem is still there.  

I think if the dealer can't get to the bottom of the issue before my 30 days, I think it'll go back.

OK - sorry I thought that a 2010 Q5 would have s/s 👍 

I would still have to say that you will only get to 1st gear when driving off and when coming to a stop so maybe the gearbox isn't the problem. 

When it is getting down to idling revs maybe it's struggling because of timing or something similar - has it had a scan? 

Sorry I'm not being much help but the issue sounds strange to me - if you like the car then see what the dealer can do but be prepared to walk away 👍