High mileage s3 8P

S38Pglasgow

Hi comrades,

I am thinking of buying a 117k s3 8P 2009 stage 2 uprated intercooler, rts clutch, coil overs, Uprated induction kit, 3 inch power flex exhaust, well maintained (or so they say) and with full service history. Cam belt and water pump done at 92k.

my question to you is your opinion on the matter with things such as:

1. Would engine make it to between 150-200k miles and what would help to increase durability. 

2. are these cars as reliable as folk say, (not comparing it to Honda engines) if so why, if not how come. 

3. I would get a lower mileage stock one but don’t fancy forking out 1k to get clutch when i stage 1 but would it be better off doing this rather than buy car already modded.

4. What to look out for if I go see the car.

thanks 

If you're already after a modded one then it sounds like you've got an ideal car. What's the service history like? Ideally this should be full. The engine may not be as durable now it's been modded there will be more strain on the engine but as long as servicing is kept up to date then it shouldn't be a problem. 

Hello Harry, 

I think this purchase should be given a good coat of thinking about, since obviously the previous owner believes in driving ‘enthusiastically’ - well that may be a kind word to describe the car as potentially being thrashed! 
I can understand that you consider this saves you a lot of money in modifying the car, but without being disrespectful, it sounds as if you will also be driving it in a similar style, and you wonder whether it will last to 200K miles! 

Service history may be considered to be king, and yes it is important, but can simply equate to having spent half a day in a garage every 18 months, the rest of the time it’s been driven with all due disrespect. 

Obviously it wouldn’t be for me, but I can understand it could be attractive to you. I wish you luck.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Harry.

A 12 year old car with sporty modifications and 117000 miles on the clock would be ringing alarm bells for me. The chances are it has been thrashed by a boy racer so don't get your hopes up too high.