Knocking noise from rear

Steve Q

Hello all, needing some advice. I've got a knocking noise from the rear (think driverside) does anyone know what it could be? 
It only happens when moving all the time. I've shook the car up and down and have discounted the springs or shocks. I know I need to get it to a garage but I'm needing the car for simply Audi tommorow and it's going to be a 328 mile round trip. Was driving down tonight and have a hotel booked. Very tempted to call out the AA to take a look for peace of mind.
It's a 2002 avant model if that makes any difference.

Hi if its fitted with drop links on the rear it could well be one of those other than that the only other thing it might be is a rear damper top mount if they are original on that age car it could well be the bonded rubber bush has let go, the AA isn't a bad shout as have you ever seen the size of the lever bars they use to get the suspension to move up and down.

Steve.

On 7/31/2021 at 9:48 PM, audia4b5kev said:

feccccccccccccccc   meeeeeeeeeeee

Exactly. Very annoyed I couldn't take my a6 to simply Audi. Hoping it'll be ready for audis in the park this Sunday! Apparently my dad and my mechanic both confirm that the car is still on all it's original rear suspension. Not bad at 336k miles! 

• Like 1

not  good   i just  missed  a audi 100 avant 1986    for 100 quid   now  went to scrap    basssstardos

8 hours ago, Steve Q said:

Exactly. Very annoyed I couldn't take my a6 to simply Audi. Hoping it'll be ready for audis in the park this Sunday! Apparently my dad and my mechanic both confirm that the car is still on all it's original rear suspension. Not bad at 336k miles! 

A new set of shocks and mounts would not go amiss and while they are there change the drop links as they are famous for causing  premature wear on the shocks, both the shocks and the links are probably responsible for tearing the mount in half, have to be honest in all my years I have never seen a mount break like that

Steve

8 hours ago, audia4b5kev said:

not  good   i just  missed  a audi 100 avant 1986    for 100 quid   now  went to scrap    basssstardos

Nooooo! 

1 hour ago, Stevey Y said:

A new set of shocks and mounts would not go amiss and while they are there change the drop links as they are famous for causing  premature wear on the shocks, both the shocks and the links are probably responsible for tearing the mount in half, have to be honest in all my years I have never seen a mount break like that

Steve

I too was shocked. I'll mention the droplinks to the garage. Just amazed the original suspension has done 336k to be honest.