a3 2.0 cr170 rattle/clatter noise while accelerating

arron1995

so yesterday after work i started the car up, started to accelerate and all of a sudden this sort of fast clattering noise occured, i pulled over straight away and opened the engine bay and started to rev the car, the noise could not be demonstrated. As i set off again and put my foot down the noise came back, the noise gets better as the engine warms up, ive checked for fault codes and nothing came up, ive checked injector deviation and they all look fine, the only thing thats happened since the noise has started is ive put in asda fuel (usually use shell) ive attached a video, its best heard around 15 seconds, has anyone got any ideas as im stumped? also noticed at the back of the engine it smells of either fuel or exhaust gasses, but cant see any smoke.

Hi it sounds a bit like a DMF problem my car is doing the same until warmed up assuming its a manual, if its DSG it could well be the same thing and that oily smell is knackered gearbox oil vapour exiting the breather which should have a green/black plastic cap on it that sits just behind the engine on top of the gearbox its a rubbish design as the plastic deteriorates and it falls off, replaced mine twice now, Audi want £6.00 a unit Vs two for £5.00 off of eBay.

Steve.

14 hours ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi it sounds a bit like a DMF problem my car is doing the same until warmed up assuming its a manual, if its DSG it could well be the same thing and that oily smell is knackered gearbox oil vapour exiting the breather which should have a green/black plastic cap on it that sits just behind the engine on top of the gearbox its a rubbish design as the plastic deteriorates and it falls off, replaced mine twice now, Audi want £6.00 a unit Vs two for £5.00 off of eBay.

Steve.

Today I noticed that the noise doesn’t occur in 1-2nd gear, only 3rd and onwards and only while accelerating, I’m wondering if it is the injectors but at the same time the deviations are fine during idle.