2018 SQ7 Vorsprung Hankook Tyre alternatives ?

Newton

Can anyone recommend an alternative to the standard Hankook evo2 285/35 R22 106Y? Reason I ask is I am being told by everyone they are on back order with mead times of around 6 weeks. Even my local Audi cannot get them. 

I have been told they are special as foam filled but any suggestions on an alternative would be appreciated as getting near the limit and didn’t expect such a fuss..!

• 1 month later...

Hello Dave, 

My limited experience of Hankook pointed them to be no more than mid range tyres, and that thought stayed with me until I noticed Mercedes etc. were fitting them from new - I guess the same with Audi? 
Another family member had a couple fitted as replacements on his owned from new KA, but was not impressed with the service mileage they achieved, and returned to Michelin. 
Of course, this is a very narrow experience window, and may not be representative. 
If there indeed isn’t anything special about the Hankook fitted to your car, and Andrew is right, then you might have a free choice of other brands. 
Perhaps others with SQ7s can give you best advice.

This probably doesn’t go for much of a recommendation, but I’ve always stuck with Michelin on our humble A3, on the basis they seem to provide more miles/£ - albeit more expensive than most to buy. 
Hopefully others will be along shortly Dave and offer you more specific and meaningful advice. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

on the discussion of alternative tyres, has anyone tried 275 40 22 or 285 40 22. reason i ask is because i bought a set of aftermarket alloys and wasnt too keen on a very low profile tyre of 35's. thanks in advance.

oh, currently i have the 20" Sline standard one, which are as follows:

20 x 9j ET 33 with 285 45 20.

I was looking for some 22's genuine Vorsprung ones, but i can justify paying 3500 for a used set. These have a set up of 22 x 10 et 26 and are recommeneded to have 285 35 22.

the wheels i have bought are replicas from a RS Q8, i have seen them on a few Q7 and really suit the car giving its a genuine look to them. The wheels i bought are 22 x 9.5j et 26.. and i was contemplating 285 or 275/40/22. would be good to hear if anyone else has used these tryes.

i've checked on Willtheyfit. and these alloys will poke out by 13.7mm from the current 20" i have, and will be 0.7mm away from the suspention leg.

with the 285 i will have a +11.7mm gap loss and ride height and with 275 i iwill have +7.15mm. the other thing is the speedo reading on 285/40 will be -2.83% and on the 275/40 will be -1.84%. 

Thanks Majid,

You have obviously done a lot of reading on this, and so you will know the importance of matching the outside diameter of the new wheel and tyre, with that of the current set up. So width for width you will need to reduce the tyre profile. Since it’s Christmas Eve, I’ll leave you do the maths! 
You mention one tyre width will result in a tyre clearance of 0.7mm ( around 30 thousands of an inch!) between the tyre wall and the suspension leg - just totally and dangerously unacceptable to me. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the that Gareth, the 0.7mm is not the gap left over with the new alloys, that would be ridiculous wrong to do... the 0.7 is how much the new set up will be furher pushed away from the current set up (which basically is no difference) and totally safe.

Attached is a 285 set up.. im inclined to go with 275 as it will match the current height and more closer to stock ride height.. . But if someone else can tell me 285 40 has no issues rubbing and fills the arch gap nicely then id go that way.

Screenshot_20211224-172921_Chrome.jpg

Thanks Majid,

Quote:- ‘……will be 0.7 mm away from the suspension leg..’

At my age I can only read and understand what is written Majid! 

Kind regards,

Gareth.