cold weather and issues with cranking, video attached.

arron1995

recently when i had my thermostat replaced I had my battery checked and the machine printed a ticket out that said state of health "bad and replace" "state of health- 54%"

now with the increasingly colder weather, today my car really struggled to crank on the first startup, even after leaving it for a couple mins to warm the plugs.

i then left the car for a few hours and when i started it up again, it started easier but my idle was very low and it felt like the car was going to stall, here is a video of the first start this morning, could the poor battery health be the cause as my glow plugs were all replaced not even 8k miles ago.

Arron.

We have been through all this just a few weeks ago in your previous topic

https://www.audiownersclub.com/forums/topic/19121-20-tdi-coolant-temp-issues-cause/?tab=comments#comment-68598

Just how much more proof do you want that your battery is clapped out and needs to be renewed?

• Like 2

Hello Arron,

Just as Cliff says.
It’s a bit like having toothache and being told the tooth needs attention, then asking why you have toothache. Apologies if this appears rather harsh, but you know what you have to do. 
You will obviously find you have choices when you come to renew the battery, and you can buy at the lowest price and be told you have a 3 year guarantee, or you can buy a good battery at the most competitive price - sometimes there isn’t an alarming difference between those two, if you do your homework. 
For me, I only buy Varta or Bosch, and choose their 5 year guarantee range rather than the slightly cheaper 3 year. On line suppliers with next day delivery include Tayna, Batterymegastore etc. - there are more. Just search eBay and the seller will advise the correct battery when you give them your registration number. Batteries work hard with modern vehicles, so worth buying once and wisely.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Magnet said:

I would have thought it will need coding Arron.

What make of AGM battery did you get after?

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Ended up with a Bosch mate, £120 from batterymegastore, do you know the process to code the battery? Thanks. 

Edited by arron1995