Please help - RS3 Saloon 2018 'front diff' leak

Omz303

Hi guys, I'm in desperate need of assistance. I purchased a 2018 Audi rs3 saloon with 27k miles in October and I have driven it for 2000 miles. I have recently been hearing a strange noise when deaccelerating so have taken it into Audi, they have discovered the front diff has leaked as well as the pop shaft moving abit. The total bill is £4200 and I do not have Audi warranty so I will have to take the hit. Is this the correct price or could I get this done cheaper somewhere else? How much are front differentials usually on the rs3 saloon? Also I am overdue a haldex service by 3 months is this bad? Have I damaged my haldex stuff by any chance, been driving and didn't see an issue till it got inspected. Also they have found a coolant leak... only had the car for 2.5 months. Is there any chance I can reject the car to the finance company or am I covered by sort of law for receiving a faulty car ? I have a basic warranty that only coverers up to 500£ per claim. If I pay to get the front diff/ pop shaft fixed will it drive like brand new ? Feel like I've got sold a faulty car, I couldn't have caused all this in a short amount of time.

Definitely speak to the finance company. No way should a diff go on a 27k 3 year old car. It sounds like the previous owner has thrashed it. However there should be done good will on Audis part as the diff shouldn't have gone wrong at this stage. Definitely speak to an independent garage for a quote as they should be cheaper mainly with the labour rate. 

Over due to the quattro system by 3 months you should be ok as long as you get it serviced now as I wouldn't leave it any later as you've done 2k miles in that time. 

• Like 1

Hello Omar,

I certainly agree with Steve’s advice in relation to pulling all the stops out to formally reject this vehicle. I would be taking advice from your local CAB on how best to do this. 
Having said that, it concerns me that you agree to purchase a vehicle in October which you knew ( or could have found out) was overdue a Haldex service by 2 months, and you continue to drive it and presumably have not arranged to get it done during your ownership. 
I wonder who you bought it from, and if this just out of warranty vehicle has full main dealer service history, and that you checked that before purchase. 
Perhaps you could colour in a bit more information on this. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I had brought this car from a dealership near Birmingham and it was advertised with a full Audi service history which I checked and looked good. The salesmen then told me when he received the car he had it 'serviced' from Audi as it was due one which was fine. The Haldex service was due the same time the salesman claimed he got it serviced, which really questions if this was a 'legit' service he has or its been forged or whatever as Audi would have mentioned him to get it serviced. So while my car got inspection they told me that the haldex was due in late September, when the salesman had the car. I brought it mid October so I presumed everything is all good since it had 'received' a service from Audi before I brought it. Therefore I have been given a faulty car. Audi claimed that the oil wasn't great as with particulates in it, inside the diff/haldex or somewhere around there and claimed my problem with the funny sound due to the haldex not being serviced at the correct time, which is completely not my fault. I asked Audi if they could help with the cost but they refused solely because the haldex was not serviced in September. Audi also found the thermal housing and water pump was leaking/faulty too which is another £1000. I have raised a complaint to the finance company and they are investigating it. Audi said they personally had never seen this happen before and the only time they have was with an RS4 which was regularly used on track. Gives me confidence my RS3 I purchased was severely thrashed/used on track, not surprised if the mileage has been tampered with too. This is my first performance car so I am lost on what to do I have raised a complaint and attached the Audi cam evidence of the technician examining car. Even if I had got Audi warranty at the time of purchase they would have voided the warranty as the haldex service was not complete in September when I didn't even have the car. Sorry if this does not make much sense I find it hard to put this situation into words, didn't expect this issue when spending £46k on a vehicle and have a £5k bill to play a few weeks later.

Thank you.

10 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello Omar,

I certainly agree with Steve’s advice in relation to pulling all the stops out to formally reject this vehicle. I would be taking advice from your local CAB on how best to do this. 
Having said that, it concerns me that you agree to purchase a vehicle in October which you knew ( or could have found out) was overdue a Haldex service by 2 months, and you continue to drive it and presumably have not arranged to get it done during your ownership. 
I wonder who you bought it from, and if this just out of warranty vehicle has full main dealer service history, and that you checked that before purchase. 
Perhaps you could colour in a bit more information on this. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.

12 hours ago, Steve Q said:

Definitely speak to the finance company. No way should a diff go on a 27k 3 year old car. It sounds like the previous owner has thrashed it. However there should be done good will on Audis part as the diff shouldn't have gone wrong at this stage. Definitely speak to an independent garage for a quote as they should be cheaper mainly with the labour rate. 

Over due to the quattro system by 3 months you should be ok as long as you get it serviced now as I wouldn't leave it any later as you've done 2k miles in that time. 

Sorry I forgot to tag your replies so you guys can be notified of my reply message above. Thanks for helping me too 

Edited by Omz303

Hello Omar,

If I was in your situation, I would urgently and formally, reject the car - that rejection being made against the seller. your local CAB should be able to assist with this formal procedure. 
I thought I had read in one of your posts that you had started a rejection with the finance company - but I might have been confused, since can’t spot it now! 
If you haven’t, then again if it were mine, I would be doing this in tandem without delay. 
I feel it is totally unacceptable that you are in this situation Omar.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thank you for all your help I will do this urgently asap. Really appreciate helping me otherwise I would be completely lost. I will post the conclusion as it happens just to let you know about the outcome. Thanks again 

Edit : Also, sorry what do you mean by a local CAB ?

Edited by Omz303

Hello Omar,

CAB = Citizens Advice Bureau. You should find one in your locality via. a Google search. 
They will no doubt advise you to do everything in writing ( e-mail should do, but check), and equally important, keep a log of all conversations ( record them if possible) you have with seller and finance - Date, time, who spoken to, outcome. 
Sorry to be pedantic, but ‘Urgently ASAP’ sounds a bit like ‘ - ‘as soon as I can get around to it’. If this was me, it would be a drop-everything-job, and start the ball rolling now. 
Perhaps you could let us know how you get on.

• 1 month later...

Hi, been a while. Just thought I'd update everyone that the dealer kindly unwinded the contract and I have received a full refund for everything. This was about 1 week ago. Now to buying another rs3, but from Audi this time ☺️

• Like 1

Hello Omar,

That’s great news, and thank you for sharing it with us - that is a bonus to the forum, since we often don’t get feedback on resolutions. 
We wish you well with your search for a replacement, and may I suggest having the car inspected (by AA) before purchase, even if buying from an Audi dealer. OK, it will cost a couple of hundred pounds, but it will represent a small additional expense within the overall major expenditure. 
Many thanks again and kind regards,

Gareth.