Drive shaft play

micky82

Good morning guys new to the forum. I have a 2016 A6 2.0 TDI auto with 73k miles, got under car yesterday to have a look for a knocking noise that's happening when I reverse then brake doesn't happen all the time checked all bushes mounts etc all fine what I did find though is a lot of play on the flange that comes from the driver's side of the gearbox which connect to the uj the other side feels solid but that side has got around 5mm of travel up and down side to side just wondering if any 1 has encountered this before I have had the car back at the place I bought it but they couldn't find where the knocking is coming from and told me to monitor it could this be the banging noise I'm hearing? I'm quite handy with spanners and can't find any other place the noise could be coming from. Any advice would be greatly appreciated cheers mick

• 6 months later...

Gavo12, not yet pal getting under car again this weekend as it's getting worse, failing that it's going into Audi as the garage I bought car from are useless.

Steveq definitely not engine mounts checked every bush, arm, suspension no play in anything pal

11 hours ago, micky82 said:

Gavo12, not yet pal getting under car again this weekend as it's getting worse, failing that it's going into Audi as the garage I bought car from are useless.

Steveq definitely not engine mounts checked every bush, arm, suspension no play in anything pal

No probs. If you've bought it within 30 days the garage have to put it right. 

• 4 months later...

Hi did anything come of this? I myself have the same sort of issue. And i also checked when at work im convinced its the bearing inside the gearbox thats mounted to the inner flange. I took it into audi and showed there master tech and he was stumped. Told him to which i had done a o/s/f wheel bearing on it that aas 3k after i bought it and now 10k after i chnaged the bearing its gone again of the o/s/f. its under warranty still as i took out extended 3yr warranty. Cant help but feel the technicians looking at it are either clueless or trying to fob me off because they know its going to be a large cost dor them to cover 

happy new year all