SQ5 Exhaust - Sound Actuators

boo2rel

Hi all,

New poster here looking to pick some brains.

I recently purchased a 2015 SQ5 (always wanted one). I've been scrolling the internet trying to find a specific answer to my problem - in the MMI for the car set-up, I was under the impression that the exhausts could be put into "dynamic" mode to give it the V8 sounding exhaust. However, mine doesn't seem to have that option - only the "engine sound" can be changed but I'm looking for that noise that comes from the exhaust! The sound actuators are fitted on the back boxes on each side.

So, is it that I do not have this feature fitted to the car (option extra?) or are the sound actuators broken? Is there a way of testing and finding out what the problem is? Can the exhaust option be added to the MMI car set-up?

Any help would be mostly appreciated. TIA. 

If the option isn't in the mmi then that would lead me to believe it was an optional extra. You could always see if you could get it retrofitted. Or alternatively you could get an upgraded performance stainless steel exhaust. 

32 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

If the option isn't in the mmi then that would lead me to believe it was an optional extra. You could always see if you could get it retrofitted. Or alternatively you could get an upgraded performance stainless steel exhaust. 

Thanks for your Steve. Does anyone actually know if there is an option to manually select the exhaust into dynamic mode? My dad has an A6 bi turbo black edition which allows him to manually select the exhaust option. Just wondering if this is available on a SQ5? Can it be done or altered on a VCDS?

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have an SQ5 with drive select, there is only an engine noise option in settings…that should change the exhaust noise. If that is set to dynamic and there is no change in exhaust sound, then there is a fault. Most likely to be acuator (speaker) issue in one or both of the exhaust. I have literally just had this fault, thankfully had Audi extended warranty which covered it as they had to replace both back sections! It wouldn’t have been cheap otherwise. Worth getting it plugged in an see what codes are there

25 minutes ago, Dabble17 said:

Hi, I have an SQ5 with drive select, there is only an engine noise option in settings…that should change the exhaust noise. If that is set to dynamic and there is no change in exhaust sound, then there is a fault. Most likely to be acuator (speaker) issue in one or both of the exhaust. I have literally just had this fault, thankfully had Audi extended warranty which covered it as they had to replace both back sections! It wouldn’t have been cheap otherwise. Worth getting it plugged in an see what codes are there

Thanks for your reply Dabble. I’ll need to get mine code checked to see if it comes up. Sometimes I think it’s making a slight bit of noise/difference (but not massively) but other times it doesn’t sound like anything. What kind of noise are you getting? Is it a noticeable difference, like a loud “roar”? Head turning noise?

51 minutes ago, boo2rel said:

Thanks for your reply Dabble. I’ll need to get mine code checked to see if it comes up. Sometimes I think it’s making a slight bit of noise/difference (but not massively) but other times it doesn’t sound like anything. What kind of noise are you getting? Is it a noticeable difference, like a loud “roar”? Head turning noise?

That video gives you an idea, some say it isn’t loud enough and fit kufatec sound boosters but they invalidate any warranty, plus it’s fine for me, I could hear a very subtle change inside but outside was no change so knew something wasn’t right, so popped into Audi and was all done under warranty

Just now, Dabble17 said:

That video gives you an idea, some say it isn’t loud enough and fit kufatec sound boosters but they invalidate any warranty, plus it’s fine for me, I could hear a very subtle change inside but outside was no change so knew something wasn’t right, so popped into Audi and was all done under warranty

Not my car just a video off you tube 👍

• 1 month later...

My 2015 SQ5 developed a fault in one of the speakers - this required the replacement of the whole backbox on that side .. this might be part of the issue.

They can check this in the workshop as they both create error codes and they can check if the current running through them too.

• Like 1