SQ5 dynamic steering fault

Barrie Driscoll

2016 model SQ5. I’ve had a guy around to my house to produce a duplicate car key. Tragic really, as after an hour and a half and lots of laptop usage etc he could not do it. He left, and said that there was a fault showing on the steering but that it would ‘right itself’.  Of course, it hasn’t!   I now have a fault showing with the dynamic steering. The steering is heavier of course and steering wheel doesn’t centre. Also the ESC drive stability light & system deactivated and the auto stop/start immobilised. 
I’ve checked the fuses in the side of the dashboard but they are ok. It appears from a diagnostic tool that there is no communication with the dynamic steering so probably no power getting through. This is a late 2016 model so not the problem of two/three years ago. Could this be a common relay for these circuits?
 If so, then where would it most likely be located? Is the small square box accessed in the area under the bonnet, via a small square flap,  close to the windscreen area, located centrally a possible area to consider? Any ideas please? Any other suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.

I have a 2017 A3 with similar fault with the steering not self centreing at higher speeds, there appears to be a tight spot from centre, which makes it difficult to keep in a straight line, although at lower (30mph) and below it all functions nicely. The garage cannot find any physical fault, like a semi seized UJ or ball joints

Any thoughts from you guys would be appreciated

With any electrical faults especially if the car has electronic power steering it's worth getting the battery checked as a failing battery can cause all sorts of electrical issues. 

• Like 1

Eventually, having considered the problem of not getting ‘centred’ on the steering wheel plus getting the fault light on the electric steering, I put the SQ5 into the main Audi distributor. They had to reboot/ reset the software/limits on the steering. £190 later and it’s been put right. It seems to be a weak point on these cars. No assistance whatsoever from Audi/VW U.K.  It was two days outside of its main dealer warranty. You make your own decision on how you see this. 

• Like 1