Brake light warning problem

Tony G

1999 low mileage A3 1.5 coupe.

This warning keeps coming up with an annoying bleep.

As you can see the car was not even moving.

2.jpg.367b6e33acfd4dc70d137ab64f90ecdd.jpg

Our local garage who have serviced this car for twenty years are defeated. They have checked everything they can think of.

Has anyone come across a similar problem and found the solution.

Tony Gamble

London SW6

Hi Tony, this could be a faulty 3rd brake light if fitted. I had a similar issue on my 2002 A6 and had to replace the unit. 

Not sure what work the garage have done but it might be worth you getting an auto electrican to take a look at the wiring. Also did you change any bulbs lately? 

I ask as when I changed a brake light bulb on my works 2010  ford transit I fitted the wrong one and it caused the brake lights to stay on when lights were on and passenger side front side light to come on when braking. 

Hello Tony,

Is this a brake  light   warning, or a brake   wear   warning. Difficult to see from the image. If indeed a brake light warning, is worth taking the rear lamps out and re checking, since I’ve seen some units with twin bulbs carrying out one function, so although you quite rightly believe the light is illuminated, (so it’s not that) you could find one of the two bulbs has gone. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.

Steve, Yes, I am fairly sure a brake light bulb was changed not long ago. I also recollect that at the same time the second reversing light worked - I am sure we only had one for years.

A post made here in 2015 also referred to "a 21w bulb instead of a 5/21w being installed". Did the poster actually mean 21/5w?

5/21w does not appear in Google.

Maybe our normal servicer used the wrong bulb.

Gareth. Yes it is brake light and not brake pad. But you could be right about one of a pair of bulbs not working.

I am taking our other car to another service garage next week. When they have done what is needed I will ask them to look at the Audi. The place who we normally take the Audi are now suggesting a replacement 'instrument cluster' and I cannot believe that is where the fault lies. When we took the car out so we could take that photo the warning only came on after my wife had used the brakes several times.

Tony

Yea I think they've got the numbers the wrong way round. Definitely worth considering a faulty bulb then. I also believe if a bulb is dieing but not blown the car will say the bulbs out.