2017 3L TDI NOT STARTING

Firkindolloper

Hi Guys,

Some start to my recent Audi ownership.

Bought a 2017 A4 Avant 3l Quattro from the local dealership.  Loved what it did but after 3 days of sitting in the garage, it wouldn't start. Battery issue, later replaced by Audi.

The real problem came when I was about to set off to the Midlands and it would not start - no warning lights, nothing.  I went through the starting process 3 times and eventually it started so the journey began.  It did this twice more over the next couple of day so I took it back to Audi.

They checked it out - no codes, no faults (apparently) but I was told that the vacuum reduces but there weren't any leaks. The tech said that I had to press the brake harder or use my left foot on the brake to start it. Really?  He said he checked the readings against a similar car and they were the same.

I can't print my opinion but this is not right.  Anyone heard of this or had the same issue?

Hello Gordon,

When did you buy car - and from a main dealer? You might still be in a position to reject the car as being unfit for service - which it must be if it won’t start!

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth,

Only had it a couple of weeks and I have already told them that, if it continues, they can have it back. I do like what it does though when it goes.

Problem sounds simple enough: brake pedal is hard in the morning when the car is left overnight.  I think there is a leak in the system somewhere but they couldn't  find it apparently.

I can't be the only one that has had this problem.

Hi  Gareth,

Thanks, not a bad idea.

I will ask them about that; it is under Audi warranty so maybe the fix is too expensive for them to do so they are trying to fob me off.  As I said before, it seems like there is a vacuum leak but they say they couldn't find a leak.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was somewhere near the pump which would require the whole front end off to check/change.  I put my OBD reader on it but no codes shown.

I have also told them it is coming back if it is not fixed this week so the onus is on them to act. 

Regards

Gordon

Don't tell them you've done a obd scan as they might try and wriggle out of it by them claiming you've erased codes which you haven't. Also if you've bought it on finance then you can tell.tge finance company it's not fit for purpose stating your case. Aldo as it's under Audi warranty they should be acting on this. I'm assuming it's full Audi service history. 

• Like 1

No codes on my OBD.  Bought for cash but they are going to have another look.  They said In could have my money back but I like it and would prefer it to be fixed.

The tech said that there is a vacuum leak but they couldn't find it apparently.  I was told to press harder on the brake pedal or use my left foot.  Smell the BS?

I will update this next week after they have the car in. Again.....  

6 minutes ago, Firkindolloper said:

No codes on my OBD.  Bought for cash but they are going to have another look.  They said In could have my money back but I like it and would prefer it to be fixed.

The tech said that there is a vacuum leak but they couldn't find it apparently.  I was told to press harder on the brake pedal or use my left foot.  Smell the BS?

I will update this next week after they have the car in. Again.....  

I've never heard such nonsense from a tech ever. Makes me question the credibility of the garage to be honest. 

I feel the same way.  They think you know chuff all about cars but I let him think that.

I removed the sensor and refitted it but no change. It could be a hose clamp or a small split, maybe even the vacuum pump.  I get the feeling that there is an Audi TPI on the subject but the cost to repair is too much under warranty.

There are many here who have similar problems which is expensive in some cases. I think it should be a recall but.....

Steve,

No more about recalls.

I have been looking for similar posts to mine i.e. a problem without a code.  I have read the "Brake Servo Restricted" post which is in the area of the fault on my car.   Everyone gets a code on the dash which makes me think that maybe I should change the sensor as a matter of prevention, potentially saving me grief.

If it wasn't for the fact that I really like my car, I would take it back to Poole Audi where I bought it from.

8 hours ago, Firkindolloper said:

Steve,

No more about recalls.

I have been looking for similar posts to mine i.e. a problem without a code.  I have read the "Brake Servo Restricted" post which is in the area of the fault on my car.   Everyone gets a code on the dash which makes me think that maybe I should change the sensor as a matter of prevention, potentially saving me grief.

If it wasn't for the fact that I really like my car, I would take it back to Poole Audi where I bought it from.

Don't worry, feel free to mention recalls as much as you like. But it's surprising how many times dealers try to wriggle out of doing warranty work. Yes changing the sensor is a good preventative measure. 

Tried to start it today - brake pedal rock hard - no warnings on the dash - no solenoid noise - no start.  Tried again, same result.  Next time I tried, I gave the brake pedal more pressure and it fired up. When I turned it off a few seconds later, I lifted the bonnet and could hear a noise like some sort of electronic buzz for 20 seconds or so behind the radiator in the region of the vacuum pump.  I recorded it for the tech to hear when I take it back in just in case they think I am making it up. 

Dealership called me yesterday and offered to "unwind the deal" - trendy jargon for refunding my cash.  Been looking for something as smooth/powerful etc for around £25k but not much I fancy so I asked them to try and fix the car next week.  If not, I am no longer an Audi owner.....

I still have the car.......

The technician's report says I wasn't pressing the brake pedal hard enough.  Total rubbish!  ?I have been driving automatics since before he came off the tit, including 2 Shoguns, RAV4 and even another Audi, and none of these had that problem.  What do I know?

Audi have given me 2 years warranty so that should be enough time for something to break.  Meantime I will get out on the road and enjoy it.  Maybe.......

Hello Gordon, 

Sorry to hear you are still having problems with this car, and that this (unacceptable if it were mine) problem seems to have manifested itself from very early in your ownership, and the dealer has failed to resolve it to your satisfaction. 
As I understand it, the dealer is now prepared to talk with you regarding returning the car for a refund, but you still attracted to this unreliable car 5 year old car - which you indicate you might have paid up to £25k for-? 
Apologies for stating it as I (in caps) see it Gordon, but that’s some love affair to consider hanging on to it! 
Of course, this is a only personal view, and it’s not my money, but a bold call on your part. 
Warrantees are fine, but they cannot reimburse inconvenience. 
All I can do is to really wish you good luck with it.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth,  

I understand your views on this and normally I would tell Audi where to go but I am used to pressing a bit harder on the brake pedal to start it.  It actually does start ok  since the battery was changed so I will soldier on.

Audi have acknowledge that I have had problems with it and offered to take it back now for a complete refund or later (for a reduced rate).  I am fine with that for now.  If it really chuffs me off, I will get rid,  Meanwhile I will crack on.