Hamilton backs Audi-Porsche F1 moves

Steve Q

Lewis Hamilton has backed Audi and Porsche in their bids to join F1 after the manufacturers confirmed plans for a possible entry.

After confirming plans "for a possible entry", it is understood that Porsche will partner Red Bull with Audi to link up with Sauber and not McLaren as had been expected. 

Asked for his reaction to the news, Hamilton said: "I mean I knew about it a long time ago already.

"So I think it's great that we're going to get new manufacturers within the sport, especially as you see there are a lot of teams that have the potential to be top teams but are our customer teams and so I think it's going to be great moving forward and so we welcome them in." 

Audi Porsche move "great news"

Since 2010, four new teams have joined the F1 grid with Haas the only outfit remaining on the grid after HRT, Lotus and Virgin - all of which went through a number of name changes - fell by the wayside without ever troubling their more established rivals.

For Alfa Romeo driver Valtteri Bottas, expanding the grid beyond 10 teams is a priority although he welcomed the intentions of Audi and Porsche. 

"I think it's great news," said Bottas. "I think it would actually be nice to see more teams in Formula 1 at the moment.

"There's obviously still only 10. I remember, as a kid watching Formula 1, and the grid was much bigger and I think this makes it even more exciting. So yeah, more than welcome."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gpfans.com/amp/article.php%3fid=79755

61a387de81edf0d0e1a181403aaa99b81bbf52fd.jpg