Audi A3 SE TDI 2008 - Deactivating Button in door

Millie

Good afternoon - I do hope I have posted under the right heading. 

Can anyone advise please - I have had her since 2012 - for the first time I would like to use the 'Deactivating' button A on the front end of the driver's door. It tells me in the handbook the diode in the switch will light up. Well it does not. (I did press it with the hope it still might work and had my husband sitting in the car - waving his hands around - alarm still went off. )

So any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

If it doesn't light up then it would suggest to me the button isn't working. My advice would be to get an auto electrican to take a look as it's most likely a fault with the button or wiring. 

Thank you both.  Yes - I would like to be able to use if needed to leave our dog in car for a very short period.  

Steve - my husband was a HGV mechanic and our son is very mechanical - so I thought it might be worth asking if any of you had met this issue before?  (We have repaired window issues in our VW via a utube clip, etc)  So - just wondered if this was something that we could tackle ourselves.   

You have nothing to lose by digging out the switch and testing it.

It occurs to me that window and door lock problems are often caused by the breakage of the wires passing through the tubular bellows between the door hinges. If the wires for your alarm disable switch also pass along the same route they may also suffer the same fate.

I agree with cliff, it's worth removing the switch and checking to see if theres electricity getting to the switch. As cliff days broken wires become common on older Audi cars along with central locking issues in general. I've had issues both with broken wires and failing locking modules for example. 

I've also done a comprehensive search on Google but haven't found anything specific. 

As I say I'd definitely look at the button and wiring first. A new button should be less than £20. 

Thank you so much for doing some research.  I will pass this info over to the 'men' - really helpful.  It gets me from A to B - we are both retired and live in a village - so she doesn't need to go anywhere yet just needs some pampering so it seems.  

2 hours ago, Millie said:

Thank you so much for doing some research.  I will pass this info over to the 'men' - really helpful.  It gets me from A to B - we are both retired and live in a village - so she doesn't need to go anywhere yet just needs some pampering so it seems.  

You're welcome 🙂 hopefully it gets sorted soon 🙂