A4 B7 convertible towing

peter.c

Hi all, I have a 2008 Audi A4 B7 2.0 tdi convertible which I am considering fitting a tow bar to. I've looked at towing capacity and should be fine with a reasonable touring caravan. I have owned the car 8 years and it's been very reliable and regularly serviced including recent cam belt and water pump replacement. My only concern is it now has 98000 miles on the clock and its 14 years old so is it the wrong thing to expect it to start hauling stuff. I'm of an age where I can remember cars used to do 50000 miles and smoke like they were on 50 woodbines a day (younger members may need to google it) and the body would be falling off as you dragged it to the scrappers !! hence my apprehension. So if anyone tows or has towed with one of these I would be grateful for your views. p.s. the engine was remapped shortly after I bought it and goes like stink so don't know whether this would help or hinder towing characteristics

Thanks. in advance. Peter.C

As long as the car has been well maintained you should be ok. For example my 20 year old A6 that's covered 340k still tows occasionally with Ifor Williams trailers/car transporter trailers etc. The engine and gearbox have never been rebuilt. The rear shocks were only changed last year. it's the second set of rear shocks from new. My wife and I are even considering getting a caravan (I'd even love a small boat lol) and wouldn't hesitate to tow with my ageing a6 👍

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, peter.c said:

many thanks Steve that's encouraging !

Is it an auto or manual gearbox? I ask because if it's fitted with the multitronic (CVT gearbox) then just be careful as they're known not to cope too well under loads. Here's a link to a topic on towing with a multitronic: 

https://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/108770-audi-multitronic-owners-advice-please/ 

But you might have the tiptronic auto instead. Here's a link to the differences: 

https://www.audiworld.com/how-tos/a/audi-a4-b7-multitronic-vs-tiptronic-transmission-421219

It's a manual 6 speed, I don't think I would want to tow with an auto as I've driven manuals for the last 50 years and all my previous towing experience has been on manual cars.

thanks again Peter.C  

1 hour ago, peter.c said:

It's a manual 6 speed, I don't think I would want to tow with an auto as I've driven manuals for the last 50 years and all my previous towing experience has been on manual cars.

thanks again Peter.C  

You're welcome 🙂 the manual box will be more than capable 👍