Another B6 cab roof problem

Sir Pookie

Hello

My roof A4/B6 2003 1.8 cab, stops half way up.

I push the button and the front releases, the back releases and the roof box opens. Then nothing, it will shut again but will not open further than that. I have done the manual reset several times but it still wont.

When the box lid has opened there is a whirring noise as if something it trying to move and I wondered if the box sensor hadn't recognised the lid was fully open and therefore would not proceed further in the operation.

Any ideas? All help gratefully received.

Sir Pookie

The sensors can pick up of there's something is blocking the roof movement. We've had other members who have had shoes and all sorts blocking the roof mechanism. Check behind the rear seats. 

In failing that I'd advise a diagnostic check. 

Sorry I don't understand what you mean by blocking. If something was in the way then surely it would not be able to move manually.

What do you mean behind the rear seats?

I have  VCDS, is there a specific area I need to be looking as no fault on the roof comes up on a general scan

8 hours ago, Sir Pookie said:

Sorry I don't understand what you mean by blocking. If something was in the way then surely it would not be able to move manually.

What do you mean behind the rear seats?

I have  VCDS, is there a specific area I need to be looking as no fault on the roof comes up on a general scan

Ah apologies I misunderstood. Hadn't realised you could open it manually. 

The most common failings on these is the hydraulic pump. 

Hi Gareth,

I am guessing that there may be a microswitch problem with the roof box.

The whirring sounds to me like the hydraulic pump is working, (thanks for the suggestion though Steve), therefore  trying to continue with the operation. If that is the case could the roof box switch be the problem and where is it so I can check? I have cleaned the 90 degree swivel switch on the LHS,are there others I should know about.

Sir Pookie

BTW Thanks Ashley but it is none of the problems on the link you sent, they don't tell you how to fix them anyway.