Audi Apologizes Over China Ad’s Potential Copyright Breach

Steve Q

Audi’s manufacturer in China apologized on Sunday for text in an advertisement that allegedly infringed copyright, and said it would remove the videos from all company platforms. 

FAW-Volkswagen Sales Co., a venture in China between Volkswagen, Audi and China FAW Group, said in a statement that the video was produced by advertising agent M&C Saatchi Plc. Audi has ordered Saatchi to deal with the potential copyright infringement as soon as possible, according to the statement.  

People’s Daily, the Communist Party publication, warned Audi over potential repercussions from the incident. The carmaker could suffer “huge losses” to its corporate image in China and face legal responsibilities if the advertisement is confirmed to have plagiarized a video published online a year ago, People’s Daily said in a commentary. 

The publication’s Weibo account posted a video that compared Audi’s advertisement with the video published a year earlier, in which the text appeared to be the same. Audi’s advertisement was accused of using the same language from a poem that a well-known blogger had written and shared.

Chinese regulators should investigate the case, the commentary said.  

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-05-22/audi-apologizes-over-china-advert-s-potential-copyright-breach

On 5/24/2022 at 10:17 AM, Steve Q said:

Audi’s manufacturer in China apologized on Sunday for text in an advertisement that allegedly infringed copyright, and said it would remove the videos from all company platforms. 

FAW-Volkswagen Sales Co., a venture in China between Volkswagen, Audi and China FAW Group, said in a statement that the video was produced by advertising agent M&C Saatchi Plc. Audi has ordered Saatchi to deal with the potential copyright infringement as soon as possible, according to the statement.  

People’s Daily, the Communist Party publication, warned Audi over potential repercussions from the incident. The carmaker could suffer “huge losses” to its corporate image in China and face legal responsibilities if the advertisement is confirmed to have plagiarized a video published online a year ago, People’s Daily said in a commentary. 

The publication’s Weibo account posted a video that compared Audi’s advertisement with the video published a year earlier, in which the text appeared to be the same. Audi’s advertisement was accused of using the same language from a poem that a well-known blogger had written and shared.

Chinese regulators should investigate the case, the commentary said.  

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-05-22/audi-apologizes-over-china-advert-s-potential-copyright-breach

My word chaps its handbags at dawn

50 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

My word chaps its handbags at dawn

Lol. I find it hypocritical when China has copied various car designs over the last 15 years. 

20 hours ago, Steve Q said:

Lol. I find it hypocritical when China has copied various car designs over the last 15 years. 

Hi various car designs are only the tip of the iceberg, what about all the badge engineered spare parts including VAG brake pads a few years ago, real value for money they were as when tested at MIRA they only took an extra sixty feet to slow down from 50mph and the sad gits at Eurocarparts had sold loads of them, but I think theirs came with a set of rosary beads for the impromptu prayer meeting when braking.

Steve.

On 6/1/2022 at 6:44 PM, Stevey Y said:

Hi various car designs are only the tip of the iceberg, what about all the badge engineered spare parts including VAG brake pads a few years ago, real value for money they were as when tested at MIRA they only took an extra sixty feet to slow down from 50mph and the sad gits at Eurocarparts had sold loads of them, but I think theirs came with a set of rosary beads for the impromptu prayer meeting when braking.

Steve.

Yep I remember that. The problem is you can't reason with China. This is what'll lead to trouble in the end.