Humming/whirring noise

Pol777

Afternoon, I have a humming noise that seems to get louder after about 40 mph, it's consistent and quite loud. Am I right in thinking it could be a wheel bearing? I've checked the wheels for heat with my hand on returning but they all seem a similar temp. Been like this for a week or so. Thanks

Hello Paul,

It could indeed be a wheel bearing, or a number of other components, any of which unfortunately could only be diagnosed by inspecting/ driving the car. 
If it is wheel bearing associated, then you may find the severity of the noise will alter if you drive around bends. 
If this were mine, I would be booking the car in to a trusted local garage to get this assessed - the car is trying to tell you something.

Perhaps you could let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Paul.

Wheel bearing noise might be a hum, but more usually the noise is a scraping, grinding, or rumbling sound. If there are no other symptoms I'd say the most likely suspect is a faulty tyre.

Does the sound change when decelerating? Does it happen in all gears? Does it change when cornering? Can you feel vibration through the steering wheel or the seat? Does it change when applying the brakes?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Does sound like a wheel bearing - are you able to ‘hear’ which side it’s coming from?

Jack it up and give the wheels a firm push and pull side to side - if it’s a bearing then you will likely feel the play.

You can also spin the wheel and will hear a grinding sound.

Hope this helps

Thanks Oliver,

Shame the original poster asked for advice, got it with 24 hours, looked at it, but decided not to respond in any way. 
That’s how it goes, it seems.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

3 hours ago, TFSIGSXR said:

Does sound like a wheel bearing - are you able to ‘hear’ which side it’s coming from?

Jack it up and give the wheels a firm push and pull side to side - if it’s a bearing then you will likely feel the play.

You can also spin the wheel and will hear a grinding sound.

Hope this helps

Thanks Oliver, you are spot on, it was a wheel bearing issue, had it diagnosed and new one fitted, horrible loud noise now all sorted, cheers.

8 minutes ago, Pol777 said:

Thanks Oliver, you are spot on, it was a wheel bearing issue, had it diagnosed and new one fitted, horrible loud noise now all sorted, cheers.

Great news!

how much did it cost you as I need to get one done also 

1 minute ago, TFSIGSXR said:

Great news!

how much did it cost you as I need to get one done also 

The rear bearing cost me £75.00 from Euro car parts hope you get it sorted.