2006 Audi A3 8P 2.0tdi BKD

Jayy

Hello

So first time owning a diesel let alone an A3 I have a few issues I've noticed since buying the car

Going on the motorway doing about 65mph in 6th gear then under acceleration to 70mph the car decides to jump into limp mode this has happened a few times and then the EML come on so plugged a generic obd in an was presented with p0234 turbo overboost.

I clear the limp mode by simply switching off an back on 

So far I have tried revive turbo which did in fact clear the issue for a day,

I've also noticed once the car is sluggish when warmed up

Any suggestions as I know mine doesn't have the nut solenoid but the vacuum box at the top of the engine bay but unsure how to diagnose

Any suggestions

I'd look for leaks in the turbo pipes, is there a whistle from the turbo? 

Also some of the blades could have snapped inside the turbo causing the hesitation in acceleration. This happen on my mum's golf MK4 1.9tdi a few years ago. You might need a new turbo. 

3 hours ago, Steve Q said:

I'd look for leaks in the turbo pipes, is there a whistle from the turbo? 

Also some of the blades could have snapped inside the turbo causing the hesitation in acceleration. This happen on my mum's golf MK4 1.9tdi a few years ago. You might need a new turbo. 

Ughh was really praying I don't was just after pointers on where to look and what to look for so I guess the car will be on stands this weekend while I give it a once over, 

In terms of whistle Im gonna sound dumb because it's the first turbo car I've had and it sounds like a turbo with a dump valve if that helps, I can only really hear the turbo when driving tho 

Edited by Jayy
Spelling mistake

15 minutes ago, cliffcoggin said:

You should not be able to hear the turbo at all when driving, so it's likely there is a fault in it.

Well I mean driving under acceleration, I don't hear it if I'm cruising at 30 only when accelerating between gears

Or does it still sound faulty ?

2 hours ago, Jayy said:

Well I mean driving under acceleration, I don't hear it if I'm cruising at 30 only when accelerating between gears

Or does it still sound faulty ?

I repeat. You should not be able to hear the turbo at all when driving.

9 hours ago, Jayy said:

Ughh was really praying I don't was just after pointers on where to look and what to look for so I guess the car will be on stands this weekend while I give it a once over, 

In terms of whistle Im gonna sound dumb because it's the first turbo car I've had and it sounds like a turbo with a dump valve if that helps, I can only really hear the turbo when driving tho 

You'll notice a whistle noise or even I whine. Bearing in mind a bearing in the turbo can go too. 

Decided I'm just going to take it to a tuning garage near me who has dealt with loads of A3 8P's as this is way over my head.

I did speak to the bloke on the phone and enquired about changing it for a new Hybrid Turbo and he advised that I would need to fit an intercooler and induction kit with a different down pipe? :S, No idea if that's just his recommendation or if the Hybrid Turbo's require all that

7 hours ago, Jayy said:

Decided I'm just going to take it to a tuning garage near me who has dealt with loads of A3 8P's as this is way over my head.

I did speak to the bloke on the phone and enquired about changing it for a new Hybrid Turbo and he advised that I would need to fit an intercooler and induction kit with a different down pipe? :S, No idea if that's just his recommendation or if the Hybrid Turbo's require all that

Upgraded turbo will require ban uprated intercooler. If youre doing that then you'll need a remap to get the best out of the new turbo. Upgraded induction kit is a good idea, you could go for a straight through sports exhaust too. With all these mods you'll see a healthy jump in power. But my advice would be to make sure the engine is healthy to start with.  Last thing you want to do is blow the motor.