Over revving when going up any incline

Corrie

My car has started to over rev when Im trying to accelerate up any incline. The display starts showing lower gears and jumps about. Looking online it seems to be the gearbox ecu but thought I'd ask you lovely people in my phone

Regards

Edited by Corrie

15 hours ago, cliffcoggin said:

I am not sure I fully understand the problem. Does the engine speed, as shown by the tachometer, truly go up and down, or is it just the indicator lights that are changing?

The rev counter goes up but the speed doesn't. The speed display on the dash jumps about and doesn't seem to know what gear it's in.

Many thanks Corrina,

So the car is a ‘fully, uncomplicated 6 speed manual’ -? If so, the rev. counter increasing without the speed increasing can be understood by my suggestion of what may be wrong. 
The speedo jumping around?? 
One simple test you could do:- Put the car in 4th gear on level ground with handbrake off, and attempt to move off in that gear - exactly as you would do in 1st gear. The engine should stall quite quickly as the drive gets taken up. Does it? 
Kind regards, 

Gareth. 

2 hours ago, Magnet said:

Many thanks Corrina,

So the car is a ‘fully, uncomplicated 6 speed manual’ -? If so, the rev. counter increasing without the speed increasing can be understood by my suggestion of what may be wrong. 
The speedo jumping around?? 
One simple test you could do:- Put the car in 4th gear on level ground with handbrake off, and attempt to move off in that gear - exactly as you would do in 1st gear. The engine should stall quite quickly as the drive gets taken up. Does it? 
Kind regards, 

Gareth. 

The speedo revs towards the red with no increase in speed. It's a normal 6 speed gear box. I'll try doing the 4th gear test and will let you know

• Like 1

Another test is to find the "bite point" of the clutch. Apply the handbrake firmly, press the clutch pedal to the floor, engage first gear, open the throttle a little (1300 rpm approx,) and slowly raise the clutch pedal, noting the pedal height at which you can feel the clutch start to engage. That height should be around half up. If that bite point is much above half way there is something wrong with the clutch.

6 hours ago, cliffcoggin said:

Another test is to find the "bite point" of the clutch. Apply the handbrake firmly, press the clutch pedal to the floor, engage first gear, open the throttle a little (1300 rpm approx,) and slowly raise the clutch pedal, noting the pedal height at which you can feel the clutch start to engage. That height should be around half up. If that bite point is much above half way there is something wrong with the clutch.

The bite point is almost at the top

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello Corina,

Tidying up some loose ends, and wondering where you are with this now.

Kind regards,

Gareth.

Hi, sorry for the late update. The clutch has definitely gone and is now with the mechanic to have a new one fitted

14 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello Carrie,

Many thanks. Make of parts he is using? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

I have no idea lol I just leave the car with him and he does the rest (I trust him implicitly with my cars)

6 hours ago, Magnet said:

That’s fine if you are happy, but there are some pretty dodgy aftermarket clutches about. I could have advised you what to go  for if interested. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thankyou for the offer, at least I know where to come. The clutch comes with a 2 year warranty and I know the guy I use would do the right thing