2022 S4 Engine Oil usage

Vern0207

Hi All,

I have a new 2022 UK spec S4 (tdi engine) with 2880 miles on it from new. Over time during the run in I noticed from about 1500 miles on the MMI engine oil dipstick going down.

The manual suggests that this is normal during the first 5000miles.

I just topped it up and it took 400ml of oil.

is this normal or should I be concerned.

Thanks in advance.

Hi am not sure what size engine you have in the s4 I've got the 2L 163bhp tdi in a 2021 model. The oil level never went down much up to its first oil change at 9500 miles didn't have to top it up so am not sure if you do have an issue but it could be normal for a bigger engine than mine.

My advice would be if you're worried get it booked in at Audi. Even if they don't find anything wrong at least you've logged the issue. Then if there's an issue again within warranty regarding oil usage then they're more likely to act. 

• Like 2

Hello Werner, 

If this were mine, I would be following Steve’s advice, and at least reporting it - nothing to lose, although I suspect a reaction of ‘ not abnormal’. 
Is the oil level only checkable via. the on screen display, or have you also got a dipstick? 
At least you should now be in a position to monitor the oil usage back to your ( in caps) determined level, which will eliminate the possibility that it may not have been fully up to the mark when new. Unlikely, but….

Hopefully a daft question, but you are checking the oil level before start up, following leaving the car standing on level ground overnight -? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Vern0207 said:

is this normal or should I be concerned.

I only do about 2k to 3k between oil changes but my oil level is still exactly the same level, as when I last changed it, it never drops.

2 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello Werner, 

If this were mine, I would be following Steve’s advice, and at least reporting it - nothing to lose, although I suspect a reaction of ‘ not abnormal’. 
Is the oil level only checkable via. the on screen display, or have you also got a dipstick? 
At least you should now be in a position to monitor the oil usage back to your ( in caps) determined level, which will eliminate the possibility that it may not have been fully up to the mark when new. Unlikely, but….

Hopefully a daft question, but you are checking the oil level before start up, following leaving the car standing on level ground overnight -? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi thanks for the reply. The 3lr V6 TDI engines in the S4 does not have a dipstick it’s all digital on the MMI. 

You have to warm the engine then leave it for 5 minutes for the oil to drain back into the sump. Then take an on screen reading. 

the manual states oil usage of up to 0.5ltr per 1000km. So therefore my usage is less than the manual says. 

5 hours ago, Davy50 said:

Hi am not sure what size engine you have in the s4 I've got the 2L 163bhp tdi in a 2021 model. The oil level never went down much up to its first oil change at 9500 miles didn't have to top it up so am not sure if you do have an issue but it could be normal for a bigger engine than mine.

3ltr V6 TDI. 

3 hours ago, Vern0207 said:

Hi thanks for the reply. The 3lr V6 TDI engines in the S4 does not have a dipstick it’s all digital on the MMI. 

You have to warm the engine then leave it for 5 minutes for the oil to drain back into the sump. Then take an on screen reading. 

the manual states oil usage of up to 0.5ltr per 1000km. So therefore my usage is less than the manual says. 

Your original post asks "is this normal or should I be concerned"

You get some solid advice, then come back quoting from the manual stating "usage is less than the manual says"

Are you now happy or still consider there's an issue?

• Like 2

Hello Werner,

Whatever reference the book, makes to warming the engine - and are we talking warming the oil here rather than getting the coolant up to temperature (totally different degrees of ‘warm’)? 

Just to explain:- A ‘warm’ engine can be considered to be when the coolant reaches its N position on the gauge/display and that is when the coolant temperature is up to approx. 90 c 

At this point, the engine oil will certainly not have reached its operating temperature, and to reach that temperature, it could take a run of. at least 5 miles.

In my book (and the pages are well thumbed and creased!) I only carry out an accurate oil level reading when the car has been standing overnight on level ground and I am certain that all the oil has indeed returned to the sump. 
I wonder if you would be kind enough to follow that procedure so your oil level assessments are truly comparative - and then report back. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jdragon said:

Your original post asks "is this normal or should I be concerned"

You get some solid advice, then come back quoting from the manual stating "usage is less than the manual says"

Are you now happy or still consider there's an issue?

I am greatly appreciated of the advice. I am merely saying that the book said .5ltr per 1000km. I have done more miles with an approximate, .4ltr oil usage. Therefore I assume less oil usage. But my question still remains is it normal or should I be concerned or is this something that happens when driving a new car. 

Thanks for you help. It’s appreciated.

Hello Werner again,

Apologies for being boring and repeating. Please check the oil level by my method, and you may even find that the level is slightly over the mark now - who knows.

If you have used less oil in the initial period than the book states and it still worries you - as it appears to do - then simply report it to Audi, as Steve suggested you do ( so they have your concern on record - but you need to record that concern in writing). 
They are understandably going to infirm you that that is with acceptable limits - as per your book, and is likely to decrease. 
Peace of mind then?? 
Continue to monitor by my method and observe and record oil usage going forward. Address any concerns at that point.

Sounds a simple procedure - to me. 

Does this satisfactorily deal with your initial question of whether some oil usage in the initial mileage period is normal? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

54 minutes ago, Vern0207 said:

I am greatly appreciated of the advice. I am merely saying that the book said .5ltr per 1000km. I have done more miles with an approximate, .4ltr oil usage. Therefore I assume less oil usage. But my question still remains is it normal or should I be concerned or is this something that happens when driving a new car. 

Thanks for you help. It’s appreciated.

As I say if in doubt report it to Audi and get them to check it over.