Have to force clutch to floor to change gear

CarlG

Hi all. 

I'm having to really force my clutch pedal into the floor to be able to change gear, usually when changing down or selecting reverse, and seems to be really hard to change gears.

The bite point seems to lower too, which has nearly caught me out a few times when sat behind traffic.  Any ideas appreciated.

Its an '06 A3 tdi se

If the clutch is hydraulicly operated there are two likely possibilities:

[1] A leak from the seals of the master cylinder or the slave cylinder. Look for wetness at both places, and renew as necessary.

[2] Air in the fluid. Bleed the whole hydraulic system until no more air bubbles are expelled.

If the clutch is cable operated there should be an adjuster.

Will you be doing the job yourself?

It's hydraulic. I'll have a look for wetness but I don't think there is a leak. Needing bleeding is a high possibility, but I'm not mechanically minded so won't be doing it myself. 

1 hour ago, CarlG said:

Needing bleeding is a high possibility, 

What makes you say that? Air only gets into the system if the level in the reservoir is allowed to drop too far, and the usual cause of that is a leak. Have you had to top up the reservoir?

Look closely at the two cylinders before the rains come. The black dirt around the cylinder should be bone dry, but even the slightest trace of moistness in that dirt indicates a leak.

9 hours ago, CarlG said:

Hi all. 

I'm having to really force my clutch pedal into the floor to be able to change gear, usually when changing down or selecting reverse, and seems to be really hard to change gears.

The bite point seems to lower too, which has nearly caught me out a few times when sat behind traffic.  Any ideas appreciated.

Its an '06 A3 tdi se

Hi its probably the clutch master cylinder as you say the car is difficult to get in to gear which would suggest the cylinder is not holding pressure and fluid is leaking back past the seals.

Steve.