Footwell lights oddness

Swisstony

Following on from some shockingly bad reading light upgrades which meant I had to source new bulbs for the interior, I now have an issue with the footwell lights and bulbs. 

There are four as far as I can see, front passenger and driver and two at the rear under the seats. I know they are all linked to a 5amp fuse ( position 2 in the fuse box in drivers side board) I have pried off all four and can see they have some form of LED bulb in there with a flat blade design. The same design of bulb that is in the puddle lights on all doors. So the problem. None of them work. Troubleshooting I have done. 

1. Replaced the 5AMP fuse with a brand new one 

2. Swapped the bulbs from puddle lights with footwell lights and swapped polarity in case that was an issue.

So as far as I can see the holders, wiring and bulbs are there but it makes me wonder if somehow they are not connected to the main loom so hence swapping the fuse will make no difference ? or is it they are there but not programmed so more like an option ? seems odd that everything is intact yet not working. Any advice would be welcome .

4 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

Might be worth trying a traditional bulb instead of the led bulbs. Could always do a diagnostic check to see if any fault codes flag up. 

ah that is where the issue lies as these are not normal bulbs so I have a sneaky feeling that the bulb holders have been changed. But that still dosent explain why putting in a working bulb ( from puddle light-same design) still is dead. I cant have all four dead bulbs , the glove box light works etc and as I say, the fuse is fine. I just cant see where they are wired to investigate 

If you know the option codes for your car it will clarify what convenience options are fitted, that way you can be 100% how the car left the factory and with what fitted, you can work from that point.

Puddle lights etc, footwell lighting, under seat light fitments vary from option to option.

If you have vcds a scan will flag up any possible issues with the (CCM) convenience module which controls many of the interior functions along lighting functions.

If the installed lights etc are in fact correct as they left the factory it is unlikley to be a wiring issue itself, but could be wiring fault as B7's do have electrical gremlins in many areas.

The ccm units do fail or become problematic so check it out for faults.

check both fuses that cover interior lighting and the convenience functions, that's fuse 24 and possibly 38 maybe worth a look.

10 hours ago, Just Rob said:

If you know the option codes for your car it will clarify what convenience options are fitted, that way you can be 100% how the car left the factory and with what fitted, you can work from that point.

Puddle lights etc, footwell lighting, under seat light fitments vary from option to option.

I do have my options codes but nothing lists puddle lights or anything remotely to do with footwell lighting (convenience)

If you have vcds a scan will flag up any possible issues with the (CCM) convenience module which controls many of the interior functions along lighting functions.

I do have OBDeleven Pro so will give it another scan and see if anything shows up.

If the installed lights etc are in fact correct as they left the factory it is unlikley to be a wiring issue itself, but could be wiring fault as B7's do have electrical gremlins in many areas.

The ccm units do fail or become problematic so check it out for faults.

check both fuses that cover interior lighting and the convenience functions, that's fuse 24 and possibly 38 maybe worth a look.

Good shout as wasnt sure what fuses were what as the board didnt list that. 

• 2 weeks later...