Recommended spark plugs

Nalag46

Go to solution Solved by Nalag46,

My Audi A3 2014 hatchback has only clocked 15K miles since new. The service manual advises to change the spark plugs after 36K miles or six years. I don't have any issues but have been told to change the plugs at my next service in December.

What is the standard type of plug fitted or what is the Audi's recommendation?

Many thanks.

Hello Tony,

I too would suggest NGK, but the need to change them at 36k would be debatable in my book, even if they are 6 years old. We’ve moved a long way on from those good old days as we used to call them, when the recommendation was about 12k. 
Of course, Champion was the make to beat then. Strangely? - I’ve experienced two failures on late with Champion plugs used in garden equipment. Bad luck? Anyway, these were replaced with the NGK equivalents. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Solution
20 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello Tony,

I too would suggest NGK, but the need to change them at 36k would be debatable in my book, even if they are 6 years old. We’ve moved a long way on from those good old days as we used to call them, when the recommendation was about 12k. 
Of course, Champion was the make to beat then. Strangely? - I’ve experienced two failures on late with Champion plugs used in garden equipment. Bad luck? Anyway, these were replaced with the NGK equivalents. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Many thanks for the comments. I will ask that they be checked first before replacing as I too do not believe they can be that bad after only 15k miles? The only snug is they have been in the car since 2014 and that is a heck of a long time.

Sorry Tony, I misread your clear post, and incorrectly thought the car had covered 36K, rather than 15k. 
Although I follow your logic of ‘checking them’, you will almost certainly incur the same ( perhaps even more) labour time as if they were changed. 
If it were mine, I would simply instruct them to ignore the spark plugs, but appreciate that it’s important that you do what suits you, and that which you are comfortable with. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

14 hours ago, Magnet said:

Sorry Tony, I misread your clear post, and incorrectly thought the car had covered 36K, rather than 15k. 
Although I follow your logic of ‘checking them’, you will almost certainly incur the same ( perhaps even more) labour time as if they were changed. 
If it were mine, I would simply instruct them to ignore the spark plugs, but appreciate that it’s important that you do what suits you, and that which you are comfortable with. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thanks for the advise Gareth. You may well be right with what's going on with the cost of car servicing these days and I think I will ignore doing anything about it for the time being, as the car is running perfectly and without any issues that I am aware of.

You are very welcome Tony. With a mileage that low, it puts me in mind of a local comedian who said his brother was a long distance lorry driver on the Isle of Wight! 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

5 minutes ago, Magnet said:

You are very welcome Tony. With a mileage that low, it puts me in mind of a local comedian who said his brother was a long distance lorry driver on the Isle of Wight! 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Yeah! The good IW indeed. 17 miles longest straight line distance and can't do more than 40 miles per hour. Who needs a car here when the local buses can get you from A to B quicker? Once you get "stuck" behind one you risk your life trying to overtake it, so best thing to do, leave the car at home a get on board, lol.

Best wishes,

Tony

• Like 1