Jumped Timing belt Audi TT Quattro TDi 2012 60K

Richard09

Bit of a story:-

Stopped at the traffic lights the car stalled and could not start the 2012 TT has only done 60K  had to call breakdown assistance my first thought cam belt but the man opened the top portion of the cam cover and said it OK ended up getting the car transported home some 150 miles,  a day later I started to look at the car, took the off side wheel off and removed the wheel arch lining  to find that the V belt was fraying at the edge to such an extent that it had long strands hanging off  slackened the tension er removed the belt at to cut some free of the lower pulley took off the lower pulley to find a mass of strands behind the pulley, so my mediate thought that some of this had got into the cam belt and caused it to jump, put a spanner on the flywheel bolt and it would not turn over so valves stuck on pistons. Removed the cam-belt cover to find loads of derby from the belt so this had caused the cam-belt to jump removed the cam-belt it looked in perfect condition no missing or worn teeth .

Started to strip the engine down took out the twin cams injectors and turned the engine over by hand free movement, next did a leakage test all cylinders leaked put camera down the glow plugs and all piston heads have valve marks, as I was not traveling at any speed  just stalled the car cannot quite understand the marks on all piston heads, other than the breakdown Guy putting his heavy duty jump stat on  in the engine compartment and turning it over quite quickly. 

Getting the cylinder head off is this a different because it a Quattro not sure if i am looking at the right model it seems that unbolting the exhaust manifold the exhaust recalculation pipes I am abbreviating the procedure a bit,does the quattro drive add a complication to this process as i cannot see any mention of that in the process i have.

Could anybody please help.

Hello Richard,

Sorry to hear of your issue. 
The need to change auxiliary belts as often as cambelts is often overlooked, and the unfortunate consequence is your experience. 
You say your car has covered 60k in 10 years. How many times has the cambelt been changed? 
Sorry I cannot help with your dismantling questions, but hopefully someone will be along. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

As I said in the post the cam belt looked in perfect condition and appeared to have been replaced which is gut wrenching, I have a full manual for Audi all models e-manual but do not know the gearbox type, choice of , KXY M 02Q1, MTZ D 02E8, NFM M 02Q1, NJD D 02E8. NMC D 02E8, PBW D 02E8, PQS D 02E8,  Final Drive Choice of MMK AH OBR1, NML AH OBR1, PYH AH OBR1,  I cannot find any information about this as entering these into the spec for the manual will bring up the specific workshop manual for the car, which would answer my question. Did a pressure test and had leaking valves so there is damage to the valves.

• 7 months later...

Update it's been a long time since the original post so I thought I would update what I did after removing the cam carrier and with all valves closed, the pressure test was not conclusive in that it passed the initial test on all cylinders but failed a repeat test, I suspected that the pressure tester was faulty. I tested it in a closed circuit and it leaked I assumed that the original test was OK and that the second failed test was due to breakdown of the of the tester.

Having taken off the cam carrier the problem was cam timing setup  so purchased a gig but it was impossible  to accurately set them up with this bit of kit after a long process the suppliers gave me a refund after sending the unit back.

What I did to time the cams:-  I used the cam carrier one cam has a horizontal slot in it so I used small bit of steel and a feeler gauge to get the cam perfectly horizontal in the cam carrier I then offered up the second cam to the carrier using a long socket on a flat surface of that cam to set the indents in that cam in the complete vertical position then checking the other cam with the long socket.

Having setup the cams i now fabricated a holder or cam clamp very simple two pieces of wood  with four holes in each piece setting the strips of wood  so they would not inter fear with the installation I passed two medium cable ties through each piece of wood so that they secured the cams to the the carrier  (My Cam Holder Gig).

It worked flawlessly.

My TT back on the road and running well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wish I had taken some photographs of how I set or timed the cams in just the the cattier.  I cannot be leave how simple it was to complete the process which requires a very expensive setting tool and clamp to undertake to complete this process.