Remapping a 2017 A3 2.0 (150bhp)

Ian1

Go to solution Solved by Magnet,

Thanks Ian,

I guess it’s a set of economics then, whereby you work out the cost to chip, then what mileage you need to cover to get your money back (based on an anticipated mpg improvement). Then consider the possible (probable?) increase in insurance premiums going forward, which adds further mileage to arrive at the cost-neutral point. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hello Ian,

Apologies for returning to this, but what engine do you have in your 2017 A3, and what is your current average mpg, and a description of your typical journey?
This may help to guide others whether your mpg is typical or not. 
Many thanks again and kind regards,

Gareth. 
Rather academic I suppose, but with the increases in fuel prices over the last year, I guess we are all driving Rolls Royces, in comparison with what we were getting previously in miles/£. 

Hi Gareth

2.0 Tdi 150bhp April 2017 model.

I get around 630 miles to a full tank. About 60mpg. I don't drive the car hard at all.

I live in South of Spain and am about to drive to UK at Xmas which is about 1,100 miles each way plus whatever mileage I do whilst in uk. It usually works out at 3k miles which is a fair amount of juice so if it chipping does increase mpg, I'll seriously consider it.

Cheers

• Solution

Thanks Ian,

So it’s maths time on a Monday morning then! 
3,000 miles at 60mpg uses 50 gals of fuel. 

If ( in caps) you would hope for an optimistic 10% improvement in mpg then you would save approx. 4.5 gals on your 3,000 mile round trip - or around £36 at current U.K. prices. 
Cost of chipping? Maths points to needing to travel approx. 8.5K  miles to recoup per £100 chipping cost. 
On-cost for increased insurance premiums -? This will obviously add to miles needed to be covered to reach the cost neutral point. 

Is a 10% increase realistically achievable? I think I would be pleasantly surprised if it was, and not too disappointed if it wasn’t. 

Your current 60mpg would be happy-days to most across the motoring spectrum. 
I think you’ve now got something to work with Ian.

Incidentally - average diesel cost/litre in S of Spain?

UK is around £1.80/ litre at the moment. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Well laid out and thoughtful response, Gareth. Many thanks.

This leads me to conclude it's not worth it for me given once I drive back to Spain, I tend to use my 125cc moped that does in excess of 100mpg. Incredible, huh?!

Cost of diesel currently in Spain, inclusive of government subsidy averages €1.60 per litre (approx £1.40 per litre).

Best regards, Ian

Thanks Ian, 

Not a bad bit of maths then for 8 o’c on a Monday morning, and all to no avail. They say to wear the old ones out first, and it saved your brain having a headache - only joking. 

Not joking:- £1.40/ litre and 60mpg and you want to save money . We’d snap you had off here for that. 
And I thought the Welsh were tight! 
Anyway, well done for exercising my brain. 
Good luck and kind regards,

Gareth. 

Well laid out and thoughtful response, Gareth. Many thanks.

This leads me to conclude it's not worth it for me given once I drive back to Spain, I tend to use my 125cc moped that does in excess of 100mpg. Incredible, huh?!

Cost of diesel currently in Spain, inclusive of government subsidy averages €1.60 per litre (approx £1.40 per litre).

Best regards, Ian

Yep I guess I have to be thankful that fuel prices in Spain are far lower than in UK. No doubt I'll have to buy some diesel in UK but minimal hopefully.

Thanks for your help.

Best 

Ian

• Like 1