Front seat back release handle

Chris Barr

We have a new-to-us 2009 S4 with a couple of issues, one that is peticularly irritating is the ability to release the front seat so that the back seat can get out.

I do suspect that the "Seat Back Recliner Adjustment Handle" here is the correct replacement part. It should allow the seat back to fold forward and I think the seat to slide forward and then it can be slid/tilted back for the front passenger to get back in. At least, I think that's what it's supposed to do since it's not doing anything today.

https://parts.audiusa.com/p/Audi_2009_S4-42L-V8-AT/Seat-Back-Recliner-Adjustment-Handle/53424255/8H0898634C7PE.html

I've had the back of the seat off but find it hard to find the cables, but can see that they do seem to run to the handle area. The handle has a spring but no tension on it so I'm guessing that the connection point on the handle to the cable broke at some point.

The question....

How in the frick is that assembly removed so that the replacement can get installed? I can't find a single exploded view, seat disassembly, walk-though and would really rather break the seat mode by just prying things out.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I should ask if there is something like a "Chiltons" manual or any service manuals that I can buy to do these basic repairs.

So..... Is there any place that I can buy a guide on how to do basic service, repairs, and maintenance on out 2009 S4?