Question about brakes.

Mar4ix

Hi folks. Time to replace all brake disks and brake pads. I am considering go one make disks and brake pads.. As far as I know if you put different make brake disk and brake pads, often lead to different problems.. Squeaks.. Overheat... Warped brake disks.. Etc.. 

Is there brand that yous would recommend? Mintex.. Bosch.. Or others? 

Today got offered klaxcar brand.. Don't k know anything about it. Would that brand would be good enough to use on my car? 

I am not racing or participating of any type of races.. Just normal daily drive.. (100 miles a day) x 5 days a week. 

Picture attached..

Thanks.

B1BB17D9-7A65-4EAF-B7D1-7DFEFF96CFB5.jpeg

It makes sense to have every pad by the same maker so that the co-efficient of friction, and hence the braking effort, is the same on all wheels. (Pad compositions vary slightly from one brand to another.) I doubt that holds true for the discs as the steel is made to the same specification no matter who actually fabricates them.

I have never heard of Klaxcar, but then I long ago gave up worrying about brand names after reading that the name on the box often had nothing to do with whoever made what was inside.

• Like 1

Hello Maris, 

There will be differing opinion on whether you can just go ahead and buy any make that fits, since brake components are brake components, are brake components, and they all satisfy the required specification, so Klaxcar ( as with Cliff - I’ve never heard of them) should be adequate. 
My experience points me in the direction that basic specifications have minimum and maximum acceptable limits, and for right or for wrong, I stick with reputable brands, and currently am experimenting ( with no misgivings so far) with  Brembo on a family non Audi- bought at best prices from on line sellers. 
This is just my view Maris - Incase it helps. 
Perhaps you could let us know what you decide to buy. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello Maris, 

There will be differing opinion on whether you can just go ahead and buy any make that fits, since brake components are brake components, are brake components, and they all satisfy the required specification, so Klaxcar ( as with Cliff - I’ve never heard of them) should be adequate. 
My experience points me in the direction that basic specifications have minimum and maximum acceptable limits, and for right or for wrong, I stick with reputable brands, and currently am experimenting ( with no misgivings so far) with  Brembo on a family non Audi- bought at best prices from on line sellers. 
This is just my view Maris - Incase it helps. 
Perhaps you could let us know what you decide to buy. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thanks for your answer. I was thinking same, brakes are brakes, and well know , good reputable name to use. Kind of not in position test unknown brand...  might it good , and no problem with it, maybe leave for youtube/instagram vlogers to test. .. I consider go known brand... Mintex, Bosh or Brembo . .. website where I am usually buying parts ( shop located in germany) offers number brake disks , bit confusing ... as there thickness and diameter are number variations for my car, is there find out right part numbers for my car ? factory s-line, 2008 audi a3, 2.0 16v tdi  (pd engine) . thanks.   

Any good reason for buying your parts from Germany Maris? I have found the same parts can be available from U.K. suppliers at similar prices. 
I’ve used Car Parts in Motion to good avail, but usually also search eBay for most competitive prices from reliable sources. 
Again, it’s only my personal experience, but I haven’t done too well with Mintex in the past, but it could just have been an isolated bad experience - so you avoid in the future. 
Disc diameter? Listings can be misleading ( as we seem to have both found, but CPinM are generally very helpful. 
Sure way of doing it? Remove one back and front wheel and physically measure disc diameter ( and get an idea of thickness if possible). 
Perhaps you could let us know how you get on.

Kind regards, 

Gareth. 
I tend to buy genuine Audi pads at discount from one or two main dealers where possible, but you obviously have to make your own choice, and ‘any brand’ at reasonable price might suit your wallet. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks, just an update on this.

The other day ive removed my front brake disks, and discovered that my left side brake disc have a crack , tiny black line acros friction surface, first i thought thats a dirt, tried wash it off, but it didnt go away,  and it did look like crack... also my front left side hub was getting overheating thats why i removed brake disks, as it was getting worse to drive on motorway, as i could feel bad vibration... assumed front discs were warped... i had no really much choice , rang local motorfactors, and them suplied with Apec front disks and pads of same make, now driving couple days, no problem what so ever. . and braking performance is very good id say... 

strangely enough , as brake disks wasnt worn that bad, just tiny lip ,  also caliper pin guides was not seized or anything, was well functioning. 

while I was at the calipers, ive reconditioned them, as ive had recon kits, which i bought around half year ago, as i had in my mind, that front brake calipers will have to be reconditioned.

Picture attached 

IMG_0039jpg.jpg

Hello Maris,

I’m not so sure that isn’t an imprint of the outline of the old pad edge, rather than an actual crack, but you have the disc to examine in detail, and I don’t. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Elimination of the vibration and high temperature at that disc is good enough justification for changing it, though I am curious to discover if the black mark really is a crack. Could you drag a hard steel tool like a chisel or scriber across the line to feel if it catches?

• Like 1