Finding the right steering rack for my coupe

IHK 11

Hi ive got a 1990 Audi coupe 2.3e B3 which ive owned for 10 years now. Ive spent quite a lot of money on it this year with new suspension brakes clutch and exhaust and now the steering racks leaking fluid and completely gone. Ive tried to buy a replacement for about 2 months now but im really struggling as there are so many different versions im told. When i give my chassis number im told this is not recognised and dont want to buy the wrong one as it will be a huge job for the garage to remove. Ive tried looking for the part number on the rack thats on the car but cant see one. Does anyone know the part number for this part or know how i could find out or even know if one off eBay fits my car? The car is off the road now as the mot has expired but i really want to get this car driving again. Any help or advice would be really appreciated. Thanks from Ian!

getting it rebuilt is a great idea if you could find someone to take it on.if youve no joy theres a lad in scotland who still breaks a lot of these coupes as far as i know.mike ball is his name and audibits2 is the eBay sellers name.greg

• Like 1

Hi Gareth and Greg. Thanks for both replying. I was planning on sending the rack away to be refurbished to a company in Yorkshire but the problem ive got is im not confident id be able to remove the rack myself and the garsge ive used said they couldnt remove it as it would be stuck on theyre ramp and they wouldnt be able to use the ramp then. I see theyre point. A mobile mechanic was suppose to come to my house to remove and then refit the rack when refurbished but keeps being delayed.! Il ask the guy in Scotland. Thanks for your help. Much appreciated. Ian!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gareth and Greg thanks for all of your help and advice. I phoned my nearest Audi dealership to ask for the exact part number for my steering rack and they were really helpful and gave me the exact part number which i was really grateful for and this helped me to find a new steering rack which i picked up yesterday. This will be fitted next month. Ive really missed driving the Audi. It will be good to get it back on the road. Im going to keep the original steering rack and have it refurbished as a spare so really pleased. Thanks from Ian!