Good money after bad - should I repair A4 Avant, 2013, with 178k on clock

TonyW

I have just had the clutch replaced in a 2013 A4 Avant with 178K on clock.  Since then low oil pressure warning light has come on the garage replaced the sensor and said oil pressure was great.  Since clutch repair coolant has been replaced twice and oil pressure light has come on again.  Taken car in to another garage, lost confidence on original garage, who reported a long list of things that need to be replaced including oil pump, water pump, cam belt and a few other things that will cost around £1500 with the warning that the engine may not be any good after repair, i.e. no guarantees.  We have a couple of cars and it only does about 4000 miles per year and only has social use, i.e. shopping .....   Prior to the oil light coming on it was driving very well, it is in very good condition for the year.  It has literally been driven for 3 to 4 miles with oil pressure light on.  Not sure what to do, seems to good to scrap - any advice gratefully received.     

I'd recommend a second opinion on the work quoted. When was your Cambelt last changed? It should be every 5 years or 120k which ever comes first. 

Did the car have a diagnostic check before the oil sensor was replaced? 

How long ago was the sensor changed? If it was within a month then there should be some comeback with the original garage. 

What's the service history on the vehicle in general and how long have you had it? 

Well maintained cars can be reliable, the mileage shouldn't worry you. For example my A6 has done 344k on the original engine and gearbox which have never been rebuilt. I'm the second owner, my dad being the first owner. It's been reliable but bills are expensive. As all parts wear out. 

You have two choices really, trade it in and buy another car. Or repair it and run with it. 

Don't forget the age old saying better the devil you know....

Interesting, and thanks for the feedback.

I have had the car for around 9 years and always had it serviced regularly .  I suspect that the garage that replaced the clutch caused the subsequent damage around the coolant leak but not 100% sure.  I have lost faith in that garage and only used them on recommendation.

Cam belt has been replaced within the last 30K miles.  Sensor was changed around 200 miles after the clutch was replaced and subsequently came on again after another 200 miles.  I suspect that the sensor was OK but the oil pump was on its way out and was working intermittently. The garage should have picked up the coolant leak. 

44 minutes ago, TonyW said:

Interesting, and thanks for the feedback.

I have had the car for around 9 years and always had it serviced regularly .  I suspect that the garage that replaced the clutch caused the subsequent damage around the coolant leak but not 100% sure.  I have lost faith in that garage and only used them on recommendation.

Cam belt has been replaced within the last 30K miles.  Sensor was changed around 200 miles after the clutch was replaced and subsequently came on again after another 200 miles.  I suspect that the sensor was OK but the oil pump was on its way out and was working intermittently. The garage should have picked up the coolant leak. 

You're welcome. 

The Cambelt nwas changed 30k miles ago but how many years ago? 

You've had it a good while and sounds like you've followed the servicing schedule so the question is whether you buy a ew car (which could still have faults) or repair a car you know well. I've always done the latter, but in the flip side if I hadn't if done and got rid I could have bought a newer car. For example in 18 months around 2016-2017 my A6 had 6k of repairs for wear and tear plus bodywork.

I'd still recommend a second opinion from another garage.