Q5 PHEV 2021/22 intermittently splutters

Nokie

My Q5 PHEV sometimes splutters mainly at low speeds when the electric has been used up and the car has reverted to petrol. Has anyone else encountered this problem? The dealership can’t locate a fault - but it’s a tricky one as it’s an intermittent fault!

Hi Steve, it seems to happen when the car has been on a long journey. It’s when you’ve had to slow down, due to volume of traffic, roundabouts etc, then when you start to accelerate, it splutters before picking up speed. The dealership are now telling me this is normal on hybrid cars - it’s like the car is doing a hiccup before the power kicks in. The ‘hiccup’ can be quite a clunk!

Hi Angie,

In this situation, do you accelerate quite swiftly, or gently from standstill or slow moving?

From what you said that this happens when you've used up 'all' your battery, i think i understand what you are saying.

When there is no battery charge left, the electric motor still works at very low speed (approximately less than 5-10mph).  So when you accelerate from standstill (from traffic lights), the electric motor first gets you going up to 5-10mph, and then the petrol engine kicks in.  At this moment, yes, it can be jerky because the petrol engine is trying to 'catch up'.

It is less jerky when you do have battery charge because you are travelling at a higher speed before the petrol engine kicks in, but it still jerks a little.

Maybe this is it?  Not quite a splutter.

On a slight diversion (sorry for that), maybe someone may know.  As above, when the car does transition between electric motor to petrol engine, is this like a 'push start' to start the petrol engine rather than the starter motor engaging?  This is what i think it is, hence the jerkiness.

Thanks,

Hi Steve, it seems to happen when the car has been on a long journey. It’s when you’ve had to slow down, due to volume of traffic, roundabouts etc, then when you start to accelerate, it splutters before picking up speed. The dealership are now telling me this is normal on hybrid cars - it’s like the car is doing a hiccup before the power kicks in. The ‘hiccup’ can be quite a clunk!

Although I mentioned the problem occurring at low speeds, it has also been clunky when speeding up to join a motorway - this would accelerating from 46-46mph. At that speed you can actually feel a clunk from the engine. I would say it was more major than minor and find it hard to believe that this is normal for a hybrid car! I wonder if anyone else had experienced this - or have I got a Friday afternoon car?!

Hi,

A quick way to check.  In your virtual cockpit, make sure your 'rev' dial is displaying engine revs AND electric motor power.

On a quiet A road, put your car into hybrid / EV only.  Keep an eye on this dial, Drive around 30mph and you should be using the electric motor only (your engine rev will be 0).  Then accelerate as normal up to 60 mph, and when you get the clunky, see if the petrol engine has 'just' engaged.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

i haven’t experienced any such problem on late 2021 Q5 50e but in sub zero temperatures the car ‘lags’ when pulling away in EV then immediately starts the petrol engine. Quite noticeable as usually very smooth acceleration in EV. Anybody had this intermittent problem please?

16 hours ago, Traquair said:

in sub zero temperatures the car ‘lags’ when pulling away in EV then immediately starts the petrol engine.

I hate to say, but pretty normal.  Battery isn't great in the cold, so needs more petrol engine to assist the electric motor.  Plus, you've probably got the heated seats on and 'heater' going as well.  All draining the battery.