2004 1.6 A3 Special Edition wiper linkage

daveyboy1967

Go to solution Solved by daveyboy1967,

Hi all, I realise this is far from being the most exciting model in the lineup but I really love mine and I'm struggling to find a part. The front wiper linkage has disintegrated and I can't find one anywhere listed for this model. Does anyone have one available please or know if this part was used on any other models in the VAG group? Fingers crossed and thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.

Dave

Edit: The motor itself is fine but I'd be equally happy with the complete unit if there's one out there.

Edited by daveyboy1967

Hi, and thanks for the reply. I've been trying online breakers for about a week now and no joy, I think mine is a bit of a "crossover/parts bin" model and every time I've found a breaker's description that seems to fit the bill I've sent my VIN no. to doublecheck and the parts don't match. It's getting very frustrating for something you'd think would be a pretty easy part to find.

Hello Dave,

I have the 2006 version of the same car - been in the family since new. Very little to complain about with it so far. 
Your linkage? 
Can we take it you don’t want to buy a new one?

When you say you have tried breakers on line, can we take it you’ve registered your want with the breaker link systems such as Partsfinder ( there are more)? 
I would expect there is nothing more complex in terms of availability about this particular model than any other 2004 A3.

Availabilty new? Check with Audi Parts Direct at Cardiff ( part of Mon Motors who were Cardiff Audi). They tend to offer a bit of a discount. 
I’ve just bought a part for ours from a Midlands person who is breaking a 55 plate A3, and I think that maybe a Special Edition.

I’ll let you have his number if you PM me.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

Hi Steve, and thanks for the help. Funnily enough I read your reply after trying to find the part I need and discovering that the part used on some Scirrocos of that era looks identical. My part number is 8P2955023G, the Scirocco part is only different in the 8P2 designation but looks the same so possibly this could be what I'm looking for.

Dave

3 hours ago, daveyboy1967 said:

Hi Steve, and thanks for the help. Funnily enough I read your reply after trying to find the part I need and discovering that the part used on some Scirrocos of that era looks identical. My part number is 8P2955023G, the Scirocco part is only different in the 8P2 designation but looks the same so possibly this could be what I'm looking for.

Dave

Yea it could well fit 🙂

• Solution

Problem solved, to cut a long story short I bought a similar Audi motor/linkage assembly, swapped the motors over, and did some judicious grinding on one of the linkages to achieve the desired throw on the wiper arms. More of a faff than it should've been but I got there in the end. If anyone has the same problem finding this particular linkage (8P2955023G) feel free to drop me a line and I'll be happy to explain in more detail, and thanks for everyone who offered help.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, daveyboy1967 said:

Problem solved, to cut a long story short I bought a similar Audi motor/linkage assembly, swapped the motors over, and did some judicious grinding on one of the linkages to achieve the desired throw on the wiper arms. More of a faff than it should've been but I got there in the end. If anyone has the same problem finding this particular linkage (8P2955023G) feel free to drop me a line and I'll be happy to explain in more detail, and thanks for everyone who offered help.

Glad you got sorted 🙂

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

Glad you got sorted 🙂

Yeah, had to wait for the wife and kids to go to bed so I had some peace and quiet to take measurements and work out what was needed, you know how it is! 😂

8 minutes ago, daveyboy1967 said:

Yeah, had to wait for the wife and kids to go to bed so I had some peace and quiet to take measurements and work out what was needed, you know how it is! 😂

Lol I sure do, however I'm not that committed where I'll work late on a car lol. 

I still can't believe you had to go to such lengths to make one fit. I'm shocked there wasn't an off the shelf item. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

I still can't believe you had to go to such lengths to make one fit. I'm shocked there wasn't an off the shelf item. 

Yeah, I was surprised too. Possibly I could've got one new but the prices I saw for similar parts were ridiculous compared to the value of the car. I might've had more luck using a garage but I like to do my own maintenance where possible and I have a stubborn streak! Had to work late on it as I was using my wife's Peugeot 206 Noddy-mobile and neither of us were happy about that. Seriously though, try to find an 8P2955023G on eBay, couldn't believe how hard it was.