auxillary belt change advice

alpha omega

Go to solution Solved by Stevey Y,

Hi all, i have a Audi A4 avant estate 2.0 tdi i was told by europarts i have a cjc engine ?...receipts show timing was done 60,000 miles ago,but no receipt to say the auxillary/serpentine belt had been done.so i have decided to change the belt/idler/tensioner/alternator pulley.looking down at the belt it looks very tight in there.Any tips on what would be the best procedure to tackle this.also i cannot get a camera in between the fan and the belt to take pictures of which way the belt goes round thanks.ps last garage nearly killed my engine hence wanting to tackle this myself 🙂 20230124_123714.thumb.jpg.77c52f07f27a086b1abf34d9bac50ca4.jpg

20230124_123935.jpg

20230124_124002.jpg

20230124_124030.jpg

20230124_124018.jpg

• Solution
6 hours ago, alpha omega said:

Hi all, i have a audi a4 avant estate 2.0 tdi i was told by europarts i have a cjc engine ?...receipts show timing was done 60,000 miles ago,but no receipt to say the auxillary/serpentine belt had been done.so i have decided to change the belt/idler/tensioner/alternator pulley.looking down at the belt it looks very tight in there.Any tips on what would be the best procedure to tackle this.also i cannot get a camera in between the fan and the belt to take pictures of which way the belt goes round thanks.ps last garage nearly killed my engine hence wanting to tackle this myself 🙂 20230124_123714.thumb.jpg.77c52f07f27a086b1abf34d9bac50ca4.jpg

20230124_123935.jpg

20230124_124002.jpg

20230124_124030.jpg

20230124_124018.jpg

Hi if you take the top plastic cover off above the radiator which from memory is two plastic plunge clips that should give you a better view of it all, mark where each pulley touches the belt with tippex and do a drawing of each pulley and the way the belt travels either behind or over that particular pulley, good kit Dayco and INA are used as o.e., I wouldn't get involved with changing the alternator freewheel clutch in situ as they can be an absolute cow when the alternator is out of the car and on a bench these clutches normally fail way after the alternator and as most replacement alternators have a new clutch fitted its probably a fruitless and consuming exercise, only other tip is make sure you have the belt running true when you pull the tension pin out to release the spring tensioner as you will need Neanderthal strength to pull it back again if you get it wrong and remember to turn the engine over by hand a few turns to settle the ribs on the belt into their grooves, I have seen the new belts try and ride off of the crank pulley.

Steve.

• Like 2

hi steve,thank you for all the information and tips, thats just the kind of info i needed. i will give that a go in the next few days i love the neanderthal strength.i cannot work out how to change my profile name to my real name(steve) thats why i am called neanderthal lets hope thats not an omen 😁cheers for now steve

Had a go today.finding it very difficult to do. theres no room to mark things up or take things off.any advice please ive seen someone take the bumper etc and move the framework forward just enough to get to the belt and pulleys seems a lot of work and doing this job on my own wont be easy.But willing to do whatever it takes to do the job.thanks all

• Like 1

20 hours ago, alpha omega said:

blimey steve hope you dont have to do that for a while. will keep at it with some pics over the next few days as having to do other things too thanks

Hi never quite sure with these as 11 on they altered a lot of things to make it easier to get at them for the dealer mechanics, might be an idea to remove the fan pack as that would give you an extra few inches, some pictures would be excellent as I can see how it comes apart, I admire your persistence and am sure the problem can be solved without removing the front of the car.

Steve.