A6 Throttle body

Stevey Y

Hi Gents, my throttle body is showing signs of failure, engine runs on when turned off sometimes as well as a low voltage error code very occasionally, so I had to buy a new one, Audi wanted over £400 for just the valve no manifold then your in for another gasket at £10 but managed to find a unit with a new manifold o.e. for £170, now this is where it gets interesting, most throttle valves on diesels fail frequently because of a build up of sticky tar hanging on the butterfly from where the EGR system meets the PCV system and burns out the butterfly control motor as it is not free to move, the other consideration over milage is the swirl flap operation which becomes bogged down in the same mess, the brilliant part about the Audis Ultra technology is the throttle manifold has it own built in swirl design as per the picture and being as it only carries oil vapour and more oxygen rich air and no EGR gas the valve lasts longer, the EGR is a separate unit which is mounted by the side of the throttle and introduces gas further down the manifold, this is drier and has less chance of mixing with the PCV gases and re burns more efficiently, the other thing I would like to point out is the list of vehicles this part fits which is due to VAGs policy of globalisation, one part fits different models different engine capacities.

Steve

IMG_20230128_172421_resized_20230128_054657587.jpg

IMG_20230128_174539_resized_20230128_054620352.jpg

Very interesting Steve, you've got me thinking as my c5 has never had a new throttle body in its whole 21 years of life.... 

Glad you've found the parts cheaper 🙂 does the new one have to be coded? 

What condition is the egr in? 

21 hours ago, Steve Q said:

Very interesting Steve, you've got me thinking as my c5 has never had a new throttle body in its whole 21 years of life.... 

Glad you've found the parts cheaper 🙂 does the new one have to be coded? 

What condition is the egr in? 

Hi Steve the new body will have to be recoded otherwise they idle badly, the EGR seems fine I have run a couple of function tests on it and moves quite freely which I would have expected as the valve itself is a worm driven shaft on the butterfly for the gas and doesn't have to move far as well as having only two main parts to the gearbox, on your car the throttle valve either works or not, might be worth taking off and cleaning just to see if it will do another couple of hundred thousand and its nice to know Kev has a spare just in case, I kind of think our Kev has an Aladins cave of spares for older Audis, I take off my hat to him.

Steve.

15 hours ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi Steve the new body will have to be recoded otherwise they idle badly, the EGR seems fine I have run a couple of function tests on it and moves quite freely which I would have expected as the valve itself is a worm driven shaft on the butterfly for the gas and doesn't have to move far as well as having only two main parts to the gearbox, on your car the throttle valve either works or not, might be worth taking off and cleaning just to see if it will do another couple of hundred thousand and its nice to know Kev has a spare just in case, I kind of think our Kev has an Aladins cave of spares for older Audis, I take off my hat to him.

Steve.

That's good then 🙂 glad it's all gone well 🙂