Nostalgic Road Trip

Anton8

I am playing golf down in Somerset next week. I intend to take the scenic route. When I was a little lad, my parents had friends in Somerset and I always remember the arguments between my  Dad and them regarding the A30 and the A303. My Dad was always for the A30.  I am going to try to follow that route. Remembering the Morris 8 that a valve broke on and went through the piston, the exhaust bracket the broke on the Wolseley. Stopping for lunch in various pubs etc. It's going to take all day. After a couple of days of golf I am returning on the A303 stopping at Sparkford to go to The Haynes Motor Museum. It might not seem a big trip these days but it will be interesting to try to remember what it was like back in the 50's-60's, looking through the windscreen of my air conditioned A6.

Tony

Hi

Just returned from my trip. It is very difficult now to follow the A30 as it has been swallowed up by other through roads, such as the A36 at Salisbury. Apart from that, it was closed at Chard with a detour through some very narrow lanes and farm yards. Went to Haynes Sparkford Museum on the way back, very good and interesting. 

Very pleased with the A6's performance. 46.2mpg on the way there, coming back cruise control on set at 75 mph returned 49.5mpg. Probably cheaper than an electric car.

Tony