98 Cabriolet widow issue

Dylan DGC

Hi, I’ve purchased a bucket-list project car (98 Cabriolet 2.6). I’m so happy to be tinkering but I’m out of my depth when it comes to electrics. 
WINDOWS: 

1. Rear left window does not work.

2. The button to lower all windows simultaneously only works in one direction 

I also have headlight, temp sensor, oil temp sensor and folding roof problems, but I’ll put each in its own post. 

Appreciate any advice!

Edited by Dylan DGC

Hi Dylan,

The only thing that qualifies me in attempting to help you is that I have had many a head scratching session over electrical anomalies in classic Audi 80 Cabriolets.

is there any noise coming from the rear left window? If there is it is possibly a broken steel cable or pulley in the windows mechanism, If you can’t hear a motor running then it could be the actual motor, a relay or a broken cable, it may also be the switch in the driver’s door. The windows master switch only operates in one direction, I think this could be the switch or one of the master switch relays, as far as I’m aware there is a master down relay and a master up relay. The first step would be to test the switch, then the relay, then the wiring. Sorry I can’t be more definitive,  I’ve attached two diagrams that may be of some help. 
Turlough.019FCE70-C4BE-464C-AD97-EBAE21171D8B.thumb.jpeg.a60826334009effbe0ea9f94903b7e58.jpegAD4E6F23-069B-45E9-B66F-D7E2109FB025.thumb.jpeg.6bf363776eadfeb52a899bcb63e8821f.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi i had a window problem with my coupe. The passenger side window opened but wouldnt close and the problem was the master switch on the drivers side which operated both windows. Although my passenger side window switch was in perfect working order the fsulty master switch stopped it working. If you do change the window that isnt working my advice would be to by the complete unit of the motor and frame.you can easily swap the glass over. If you try to change the motor the cables and pulley can be a nightmare.i think you can get an oil temp sensor off eBay or theres a place called autodoc which is pretty good. It will be bolted to the engine somewhere. Good luck.