Old front discs

FirstG

I've just fitted new front discs to my 2011 A6. I fitted the new Audura 321mm discs from euro car parts. Great price compared to other brands, not painted but so far I'm impressed.

The state of the old ones by comparison was unbelievable.  The outer face of both discs looked pretty normal but the hidden face was like the surface of the moon!  I've never seen anything like it. I'm no mechanic but I've seen enough old discs be them badly scored by worn out pads or just old but these are unreal. I'll upload them when I get chance. They look like the metal inside has fatigued so badly that they've rotted from the inside out.

Has anybody had a similar expierience. I can only guess they are original but the car has travelled 167 000 miles! Can a pair of discs last so long?

57 minutes ago, FirstG said:

20230411_153321.thumb.jpg.171534e3617c5d5e0827ccd35340bf8b.jpg20230411_153411.thumb.jpg.eec42868114255e4dc1abd525b1d9740.jpg20230411_153313.thumb.jpg.678fdebf042ca2187efbfb27bb38a047.jpg

Hi I seriously doubt they are original but they are well past their sell by date, thank you for publishing this as it might well wake up a few others to the benefits of regular brake checks, also if you change the brake fluid every couple of years that has a really big impact on pad/disc wear.

Steve.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

Hi All,

As most don't follow up on posts & its been a few months since swapping my front discs, I thought I'd do the right thing & give an honest update.

The relatively cheap Audura discs & pads from Europarts, that I fitted, are very performing very well with absolutely no issues, no brake judder & they stop the car exactly as they should.  

I would recommend this particular brand especially if one is on a budget.

• Like 4