Buying a Q5

Alandawson66

Turning in my Rav and getting a Q5 hopefully. I know very little about cars to be honest. I have seen the following which looks good but £16k and 84,000 mikes on the clock feels a lot. I dont drive much maybe 5k per year but still this seems a bit much amd worried about things going wrong. What would a sensible profile of Q5 be, 1 or 2 owners, 2013-2016, 60,000 miles? Any advice much appreciated. Looking to spend £15-17k tops.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/166047592567?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=oiVkzyFeS32&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=gpwctmoRS3y&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=EMAIL

Trading in your rav4 for a Q5? 

If so the Q5 will feel like a better quality cabin but expect less reliability that's for sure. 

If you only do 5k miles a year then you'd be better off with a petrol. As that little mileage per year can clog up the dpf with soot and clog up the egr. Both of which are over £1k each to change. 

Have a look at buyers guides on YouTube. 

Make sure all electrical items work and check the service history. 

13 minutes ago, Alandawson66 said:

Many thanks Steve. What is the reliability problem in comparison to the Rav.

Is it the previous generation rav? (2012-3019) if so you'll be going from one of the most reliable cars on the market to one that'll most likely need more investment from you. I'm not trying to put you off or scare you, I just want you to be fully informed. 

I see the one you've been looking at has ended on eBay

The 3.0tdi suffers with swirl flap issues, timing chain issues, injector issues and sunroof issues on some cars. Budget 1k-1.2k for timing chain replacement and £600 I think for swirl flap repair and £600 odd for injectors. Besides that 3.0tdi is generally reliable. It doesn't say full service history which would be a worry for me. At the Mileage you're looking at I'd expect to see documented gearbox oil change. 

Also make sure tyre wear is even on tyres on the same axle and they should be the same brands as uneven tyre wear can damage the quattro system. 

Many thanks Steve. It is a 2002 rav, fabulous car! Good points by you and much appreciated. What would be your advice on the type of q5 for my budget of tops 17k? Thanks once again really useful. 

2 hours ago, Alandawson66 said:

Many thanks Steve. It is a 2002 rav, fabulous car! Good points by you and much appreciated. What would be your advice on the type of q5 for my budget of tops 17k? Thanks once again really useful. 

You're most welcome. The spec of the car you've chosen is lovely. I would strongly recommend a diesel due to the amount of mike's you do a year. Mainly as the dpf and egr can clog on the diesel's if they don't do a lot of mile's. 

My advice would be to compare a more modern rav4 alongside a Q5 to see what you're getting for your money. As your budget would get you the previous generation rav4 which is one of the most reliable cars made. 

I'm not trying to put you off a Q5 by any means I just want you to be prepared and aware of what to expect 🙂