DSG issue?

ctalin

Hi guys,

I have an Audi A3 8P, 2008 with a 2.0 diesel engine (CBAB) and DSG transmission (LQV). I am experiencing a few issues with the front axle / transmission / engine mounts and I would need your help to identify the cause, likely multiple causes. Symptoms are:

road noise in between 40-50mph and around 70mph (suspect wheel bearing)

shaking under hard acceleration - most noticeable when engine rpm is under 2000 (suspect engine mount)

DSG clunking when breaking and accelerating again

I suspected the shaking might be caused by the lower engine mount so I lifted the car up on stands to check. It does not seem like excessive play to me but honestly I don't have much of a clue about how it should behave. The video below shows the engine start, then I put it into gear and there is some stuttering because of the ASR, and later I switch ASR off and try accelerating again. You will be able to hear a clunking sound which appears to be coming from the DSG. A similar clunking I hear in traffic when for example I have to press the brake lightly, then I go back to accelerating.

Hopefully this video will help you help me. Thank you!

12 hours ago, ctalin said:

Hi guys,

I have an Audi A3 8P, 2008 with a 2.0 diesel engine (CBAB) and DSG transmission (LQV). I am experiencing a few issues with the front axle / transmission / engine mounts and I would need your help to identify the cause, likely multiple causes. Symptoms are:

road noise in between 40-50mph and around 70mph (suspect wheel bearing)

shaking under hard acceleration - most noticeable when engine rpm is under 2000 (suspect engine mount)

DSG clunking when breaking and accelerating again

I suspected the shaking might be caused by the lower engine mount so I lifted the car up on stands to check. It does not seem like excessive play to me but honestly I don't have much of a clue about how it should behave. The video below shows the engine start, then I put it into gear and there is some stuttering because of the ASR, and later I switch ASR off and try accelerating again. You will be able to hear a clunking sound which appears to be coming from the DSG. A similar clunking I hear in traffic when for example I have to press the brake lightly, then I go back to accelerating.

Hopefully this video will help you help me. Thank you!

Hi the clunking is the centre engine mount its the bit inside the subframe you can just see the bolt in the picture its a two piece bush and will fall out when removed the replacement is a lot more interesting and requires a lot of rubber grease and swearing, ask any Skoda owner its a common problem.

Steve.

Hi guys!

Thank you for your replies. I jacked the car up to have a look at the lower engine mount and visually looks alright. 

Stevey, you mean this mount in the picture attached? I thought it would look worse if needs changing. And in the video it doesn't appear to move excessively.

I've posted this because I have no clue how should it look like or how much should be allowed to move. Thank you for taking your time to help me.

PXL_20230604_095307648.jpg

Yes that bush undoubtedly needs to be changed. As a general rule, if there is movement in any rubber bush it is worn out. The static appearance of rubber bushes tells you nothing; the bush must be stressed or loaded to test it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update. I replaced the transmission mount on Thursday and sorted most of the shaking. Attempted to change the lower engine mount on Saturday morning and after a few hours of trying to insert the new mounts into the subframe, I gave up and took the subframe to a nearby garage. They tried to do it and could not fit the lower part of the mount. I've left the subframe there so they could do it today (as they were closing at noon on Saturday) and went to get it back a couple of hours ago.

The mounts were in the frame, indeed, only that the lower mount was cracked. They assured me it would still work as the rubber part is intact but I still need someone else's opinion on this.

What do you think? What are the risks of installing the subframe with the mount in this condition?

I was there when they tried to install it with the hydraulic press on Saturday and I know it is a pain to do it. It is like the part is bigger and is bulging on the u shaped bit.

The part number written on the new parts (Febi) was the same as for the old mounts. Is it the same situation with other manufacturers too or could it be that this Febi part was bulging more than it should?

I've put the links to the video of the transmission mount below + a photo of the cracked engine mount. My (mobile) browser does not allow me access to ulpoad files here unfortunately

https://photos.app.goo.gl/39UkNk7Z1fHkFjoLA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5LNfXvzDUdk2fBtm6

4 hours ago, ctalin said:

Just an update. I replaced the transmission mount on Thursday and sorted most of the shaking. Attempted to change the lower engine mount on Saturday morning and after a few hours of trying to insert the new mounts into the subframe, I gave up and took the subframe to a nearby garage. They tried to do it and could not fit the lower part of the mount. I've left the subframe there so they could do it today (as they were closing at noon on Saturday) and went to get it back a couple of hours ago.

The mounts were in the frame, indeed, only that the lower mount was cracked. They assured me it would still work as the rubber part is intact but I still need someone else's opinion on this.

What do you think? What are the risks of installing the subframe with the mount in this condition?

I was there when they tried to install it with the hydraulic press on Saturday and I know it is a pain to do it. It is like the part is bigger and is bulging on the u shaped bit.

The part number written on the new parts (Febi) was the same as for the old mounts. Is it the same situation with other manufacturers too or could it be that this Febi part was bulging more than it should?

I've put the links to the video of the transmission mount below + a photo of the cracked engine mount. My (mobile) browser does not allow me access to ulpoad files here unfortunately

Hi you can see from your photo that the circular bush is tearing the plastic collar away from its mounting, its had it, I did mention it was a grotty job but is doable, I did the same and removed the subframe got the old bushes out by cutting the nylon collar with a hacksaw blade then cleaned the surface of the mounting hole and gave the hole a good coating of silicon grease, I used a large jubilee clip to compress the bush about 5mm from the entry edge once I had it started and it was in down to the clip I moved the clip again and beat it in with the rubber mallet I used on the first stage, once its 10mmm or so in just get a flat piece of wood and slowly tap it the rest of the way in, it takes time unless you fork out for the bush tool which aint cheap.

Steve. 

16 hours ago, ctalin said:

I have uploaded the two files here.

PXL_20230619_124745835.jpg