Engine oil leak after oil change.

Wayfarer

I have just carried out an oil change on my Q3, which I always do between services to ensure good clean oil at all times.

I replaced the sump drain plug and washer, together with a new oil filter and O rings, and filled with a 5W30 oil.

After the first trip of about 6 miles I noticed a lot of oil was leaking from the engine and I estimate I had lost about 1 litre!

I removed the filter and renewed the large O ring again but after a trial run there was still a heavy leak.

The oil is running down the front of the sump and appears to be coming from somewhere below the level of the filter housing and not from between the housing and screw cap via the O ring. Of course it has sprayed everywhere but it seems to be leaking from around the lower part of the engine at the front. The sump bolts I can reach are tight.

I am at a loss now as I did not touch any other part when I replaced the filter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Edited by Wayfarer

hi stuart,maybe check the sump nut ,and see did you over tighten the nut and crack the sump,as the sump is aluminium its easy happen.

Hello Stuart,

If I’m understanding it correctly, you have eliminated the oil filter area as a source of your leak ( make of filter as a matter of interest). 
If this is leaking a litre in 6 miles, that’s obviously some leak, and if this were mine, I would be thoroughly ‘degreasing’ all the bottom end of the engine, and waiting for it to dry. I would then start the engine and observe the actual leak site. 
It does seem to be very much of a coincidence that this has occurred at the point of a filter change, so it maybe wise not to ignore a link with this - again - make of filter? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hello Gareth,

The filter is a Crosland, from Halfords, but I used genuine O rings.

I'm sure it's not leaking from the top of the filter housing, where the seal is.

After wiping down the bottom of the engine and all the other oil-covered areas I ran it for 5 minutes. Soon oil was running down the visible front face of the sump across it's whole width, and dripping from the front undertray, which is beneath the front of the engine.

Without stripping in front of the engine it is impossible to see anything but it's going on a ramp later so maybe there will be a better view.

Kind regards, Stuart.

Hello Stuart,

Many thanks for the additional information.

Again, as if it were mine - Crossland filters would be at the bottom of my buying list. Once well respected, but now a bought out brand name by ECP, and supplied by Halfords via. a supplier link with ECP. Just as background, if you buy mixed paint aerosols from Halfords, you are actually buying from ECP.

I’m not claiming the filter is at fault, and your subsequent issue may indeed be a coincidence, but I’d be removing the Crossland filter and throwing it as far as you can, and buying a replacement Mann, Hengst, or Meyle filter, and screw that on and see if the situation improves. 
Perhaps you could let us know how you get on Stuart. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for the filter onfo, worth remembering.

However, it's fixed; my mistake. I fitted the large O-ring into the recess just under the cap above the threads, but there is another recess within the threads 10mm below the cap where it should have gone. I should have noted the position when I removed the old one. 

Just got to clean up the engine now, oil everywhere!

Cheers, Stuart

Thanks to others for their advice.

• Like 1

Great Stuart. I’d still ditch the Crossland filter, and fit a proper one for the sake of <£10 note. You can then rest comfortably that the filtration is what it should be. 
Kind regards,

Gareth.

• Like 1