Random fan noise from front of car

Mrisir

Hello
I have an audi a4 b9 2016 2.0 diesel. Today i turned on the engine and this fan noise came on from the front of the car. 

I turned off all the ac and fans in the car and could still hear this fan noise from the front even as the engine was running.

I drove around 100 miles. Then stopped as it was still there, turned off the engine (so ignition still on) and the fan noise was still there. It’s only when the car was totally off it stopped. I then started the car again and it was gone. Any ideas what this would have been? 

1 minute ago, Steve Q said:

I'd recommend a diagnostic check to see if any fault codes flag up. Could be an issue with the egr and car trying to regen or an issue with a sensor. Whats the engine temp like when driving?

Engine temp showing completely normal (90 after around half hour of driving).

When the fans came on this morning, they came on literally as soon as I started the car and the temps were reading like nothing then

• 7 months later...
On 8/12/2023 at 12:33 PM, Mrisir said:

Hello
I have an audi a4 b9 2016 2.0 diesel. Today i turned on the engine and this fan noise came on from the front of the car. 

I turned off all the ac and fans in the car and could still hear this fan noise from the front even as the engine was running.

I drove around 100 miles. Then stopped as it was still there, turned off the engine (so ignition still on) and the fan noise was still there. It’s only when the car was totally off it stopped. I then started the car again and it was gone. Any ideas what this would have been? 

Hi Mrisir, did you ever resolve this problem?

I seem to have the same issue

1 hour ago, Noodles said:

Hi Mrisir, did you ever resolve this problem?

I seem to have the same issue

Hi mate. Unfortunately (or fortunately) for me it was one of those issues that just went away itself so not quite sure what the issue was….

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the speedy reply Imran.

Yes, it's a strange one. I've owned the car for about a month now and it's happened on two occasions. I'm hoping it resolves itself like yours did 🤞