transmission oil change or clutch ?

alpha omega

Go to solution Solved by Steve Q,

now and again when i try and put the car in first gear it feels a bit notchy so i have to double down on the clutch pedal and sometimes have to set off in 2nd gear especially when the engine is warm and stuck in traffic.(all other gears work fine).....i thought i wonder if i need to change the transmission oil in the gearbox or possible clutch as audi mentioned the clutch was heavy and worn.so i rang audi and asked them to change the gearbox oil(cheapest option) but they said it was not on their books to do this.been quoted by a local garage £100-£150 depending how much transmission oil is needed.i cannot find in the owners manual how much oil the gearbox holds.as far as i am aware neither the clutch or the transmission oil have been changed, and the mileage is nearly 190k anyone else had this experience with their audi a4 b8 2.0 tdi thanks all

• Solution
10 hours ago, alpha omega said:

i appreciate that steve i am curious why its only first gear only.how is it going with the car that needs an engine best wishes stephen

Apologies, I've just re-read your post, should have read it properly the first time 🤦‍♂️ If it's just first gear could it be a linkage? 

My wife has this similar issue on her Corsa many years ago. 

Engine wise, plans are afoot to get it back in the road. Early days yet but watch this space 😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alpha omega said:

thanks steve. a lot of garages in my area say they are busy i will get it checked out at some point regards stephen

No probs at all. Please keep us posted on how you get on 

while waiting i took the middle console out and sprayed some silicone around the base of the gear knob.no different.i could see though that the gear movement link on this looks quite long looking from above but could not see the end of the gear linkage itself to see if there was wear.may have to travel a few miles to a garage to have it checked.shame all these back street boys have gone.