Mileage

baz1978

Hi I'm new on here I have a 2019 A6 estate 40. With a mear 145000 miles on it .I have it serviced every 7 to 8 weeks .my question is how long will the  engine/turbo etc last 

Hello Gary,

My late evening maths suggests you are covering around 30k a year, so you must be having this serviced approx. every 5k miles, which might be considered ‘over servicing’.

I don’t think anyone would knock the benefits of over servicing when covering such mileage, and I guess this car is probably in better mechanical order at 145K, than many vehicles which have only covered your 30 K annual mileage in say your total 4 years. I don’t think you can do better. 
The only caveat I would add is the quality of the oil used is as important as the frequency of change - as is with filters.

To your original question of longevity- ? I feel you are doing everything you can to ensure this car lasts, and I guess it’s having a comparatively easy life when covering it mileage at optimum operating conditions. 
Summary:- just keep doing what you are already doing. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Should be already on a long life service schedule but I’d also get fuel filter (if TDi). So I assume that’s at least 2 oil changed a year.

injectors are common for clogging up on high mileage cars simply because the frequency of fuel changes.

I’ll be honest whilst it is possible to achieve 200k miles and beyond. On VAG group vehicles you tend to see them drop away between 200k-300k not because of reliability simply because cost of components that need changing due to wear and tear.

depending on mileage older model turbos on diesels tend to start dropping away between 120k-200k miles. But this is based on how the car is driven and what sort of journeys your doing. I’d probably guess the engine is good for 200k+ but the gearbox not.

High milers for engine and transmission tend to do better with medium to long journeys that are regular because of the sustained operating temperatures. If the car is doing short-medium journeys and plenty of them like a taxis. I’d hazard a guess your make it beyond 200k but that’s because your happy committing to £3000+ a year in maintenance costs.

previous experience with high mile VAG cars…

2012 VW 2.0 Passat 178k miles 

sold on as average annual repair costs exceeded £2000. (Car value £9k)

2014 VW 2.0 golf 197k miles

Scrapped, turbo and gearbox repair costs £3,400. (Car value £3.8k)

• Like 1

Hi, don't know the answer to your question but, and don't quote me on the terminology, but are you on a fixed servicing plan where the car will prompt you every 9600 miles for an oil/inspection service?  I believe you can have the car reprogrammed for flexible servicing so the oil changes can stretch beyond 9600 miles.

One of my clients had this change applied and some of the cars go 17500 miles between oil changes!  Most of there cars are 60K miles per year cars. 

dpf and egr are the biggest risk factors. The after that turbo and injectors. 

However well serviced diesel's can last along time. 

My a6 c5  2.5tdi has never missed a service from new and been over serviced if anything. Before engine went bang it had covered 344k miles. 

It was on its second turbo and original injectors. 

I'm putting a replacement engine in it now. 

• Like 1

45,000 miles so far this year, I am curious why the huge mileage, taxi driver or just long distance commuting?

Firstly, what sort of driving are you doing? Is it all motorways or stop/start traffic as that will impact the amount servicing needed. If you are on motorways all day then use the flexible servicing where the car may well stretch the service intervals as modern oils are much better than they used to.

If I commuted the 70 miles each way to the office, 5 days a week that is 33,000 miles p.a. and 3-4 services over a year on the fixed servicing schedule.

And please tell us you are using an indie rather than a stealer for the servicing, the latter will think it is Xmas every 7 weeks.

I use the car main on motorways some days I do over 700 miles travelling to different airports and ports though out the UK my service light comes on every 10000 miles  . I service it my self as fully qualified hgv technician back in the day . So I only pay for parts not labour 

• Like 1