Changing oil filter A4

Bishuk

Hi

i have been trying to change my oil filter in my 2019 A4 2.0 TDI Quattro and just can seem to get the plastic cover off. It’s tucked away behind the coolant reservoir and I can’t seem to move the coolant reservoir without the coolant squirting out of the pipes.

im no mechanic but thought that changing an oil filter should be quite easy as it’s a serviceable part.

any help would be greatly required as having to stump up £140 for oil and filter every 10k gets a bit tedious.

Thanks in advance

Hi Matt,

Can you provide a picture?

From my previous 2017 A4 2.0 TDI saloon (not quattro, so i don't know if that makes any difference).  Yes it was a pain to remove the oil filter.  I had to unscrew the coolant reservoir and gently nudge that over to give me space.  Thankfully no spillages.  Not sure why you would have coolant coming from the pipes?  I don't know if that is the correct way, but it was the only way i could see it being done.

Thanks, Joe

Hi Joe

thanks for your reply.

the coolant came out when I disconnected one of the pipes attached to the reservoir! I think it was still under pressure. 
move attached a picture of where the filter is. I just can’t seem to unscrew it either. It is very tight.

IMG_0472.jpeg

No, the reservoir is still in its original position. I managed to move it over when I disconnected it by a bit but there is a “T” piece rubber pipe at the bottom that doesn’t budge much.

this may sound stupid but does the filter screw off anti clockwise? 
I only ask as stamped on the top of the cover it states the newtons which to tighten it too but also an arrow that points clockwise! I wasn’t sure if this is to show the way to tighten or loosen..

thanks

On 9/11/2023 at 5:30 PM, Bishuk said:

this may sound stupid but does the filter screw off anti clockwise? 
I only ask as stamped on the top of the cover it states the newtons which to tighten it too but also an arrow that points clockwise! I wasn’t sure if this is to show the way to tighten or loosen..

Hi, it should be a right hand thread, so looking down onto the oil filter cover, anti clockwise to remove, clockwise to tighten.  So that arrow is correct to tighten.

Forgot to mention, I think you definitely need to move the reservoir, as you won't be able to remove the oil filter itself without making a mess.  And also to drop in the oil filter as well.

How are you getting on?

Thanks, Joe

Edited by JMKC82

Thanks Joe

i have managed to change the filter using the socket you mentioned and also 200mm extension on the wrench. I unscrewed the coolant reservoir too which allowed the filter to come out. It only budge half inch but just enough to get the cap and filter out. The cap was the most fiddliest bit.

now I’m just waiting for my car ramps to be delivered and I can change the oil.

thanks for your help

Another possibly stupid question, but is the sump plug the same as the drain plug in regards to draining the oil??

I saw an online video where the mechanic drained the oil from the sump which is plugged with a plastic screw plug but on other videos they unscrew a metal plug from seemingly a different part of the engine..

I unscrewed the plug from the sump and only about 200/300ml came out!

2 hours ago, Bishuk said:

Another possibly stupid question, but is the sump plug the same as the drain plug in regards to draining the oil??

I saw an online video where the mechanic drained the oil from the sump which is plugged with a plastic screw plug but on other videos they unscrew a metal plug from seemingly a different part of the engine..

I unscrewed the plug from the sump and only about 200/300ml came out!

Hi when draining the sump its always a good idea to remove the filler cap as this can cause a negative vacuum and stop the oil from draining, you find this with the Ford DW engines that have a plastic flat sump and a big plastic drain plug

Steve.

Thanks for the reply steve.

I did that. I even pulled out the filter. 
When the oil came out of the sump I was surprised to see it as clear as new oil whereas the oil filter was full of black oil. 
not what I was expecting. 
could it have been because the front was up on ramps? They are 200mm high do the car was on a tilt. 
I would of expected if there were 4-5 litres of oil that an incline wouldn’t only allow such little oil out.

Hello Matt,

This concerns, since any oil which has been in the sump of a diesel engine - for even the shortest of time - will be black. So ‘clear’  will certainly ring alarm bells. 
Appreciating everyone has to start DIY mechanics somewhere, and I don’t want to make this too critical, but since you are asking if the sump plug is the same as the drain plug, it really does demonstrate that you are on A of the mechanic’s alphabet, and that’s fine, but I think you would be well advised to have someone by your side who has a bit more experience, and can guide you through. 
Now, clear oil might be expected from the gearbox ( if it has a drain plug) and one begins to wonder whether you have indeed removed a wrong plug. Having said that, 200/300mls would be a small quantity to run out of there, whatever angle the car is at, but to run out of the engine sump of a diesel engine just seems to ring alarm bells to me. 
Photos of what you’ve done Matt, so we can try to help? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply Gareth.

I have no photos. And yes i have absolutely no idea when it comes to mechanics. I just thought when it came to an oil change it couldn’t or shouldn’t be too hard.. 

I’ve learnt quite a lot from you tube videos but there doesn’t seem to be a lot in regards to my current car… 

maybe my next stop is the garage!!

I am starting to think that may have been from the gearbox. It was in fact 500ml as I’ve just poured what was in the drip pan into a bottle.

I think I was looking too far back under the car.

I have attached a picture which looks almost identical to where I tried to drain the oil from. But where as that plug is on the side mine is facing down.

also underneath it was a cross member of steel which looks like it’s there to protect it from hitting humps and bumps.

IMG_0474.png

As with Steve and Gareth, i am abit concerned for you Matt.

First of all, whatever you do, do it safely.

Couple of things to add.

- If you've drained the gearbox oil, oops.  But at least you'll change the oil for that now.

- Best to have the car level, as you won't drain all the oil and particulates.  Basically you'll mix new oil with old oil.  A little bit waste of time and money.

- Warm the engine (have it running for a short while), to warm the engine oil, and (I believe) mixes/suspends all the particles together.  So alot easier to drain the oil, and you get alot more of the stuff (particulates) out.  Be careful not to burn yourself, so i normally get it up to about 50-60C.

Thanks, Joe

• Like 1

glad its on ramps and level.when refilling the gearbox(depending which one you have.there are certain procedures you may have to go through to avoid air locks etc leave it to the garage as they will pump the gearbox oil in best regards steve

Thanks Matt,

I think we all genuinely feel for you, but at least you will have learnt from your bad experience,  and I think we have all been there at some time.

As I mentioned earlier, in future I would try to have an experienced person with you to actually tech you/ you watch them, before embarking on any other jobs. There will be a lot to learn, but you can get there. 
Now, how are you going to get this car to a garage without doing damage, since you have drained off some gearbox oil, and you live in hope that you have successfully replaced the oil filter and are confident you have it seated correctly and won’t have any leaks, and that you are able to confirm the current oil level is where it has to be. 
Perhaps you could let us know how you get on. 
Incidentally, what brands of oil and filter have you bought? 
Kind regards,

Gareth.