Engine not reaching 90 degrees even on 400 mile round trip

kevin0113

Hi guys. Just travelled to London and back which was 400+ miles. Engine never reached 90 degrees on dash. I would say the needle, on average was stuck on 70 degrees, between 50 and 90 on the little gauge. I got 47mpg on this trip. Not sure what the problem could be. 

I have a 2011 Audi A4 Avant 2.0 tdi 143bhp

please help, many thanks

2 hours ago, kevin0113 said:

Hi guys. Just travelled to London and back which was 400+ miles. Engine never reached 90 degrees on dash. I would say the needle, on average was stuck on 70 degrees, between 50 and 90 on the little gauge. I got 47mpg on this trip. Not sure what the problem could be. 

please help, many thanks

Hi from memory you should have two stats one on the block and one on the water pump which is electronically controlled, its like a shroud that fits over the impeller and covers it when cold so the engine heats up faster, trouble is the shroud gets stuck wide open and can't start to close itself when the engine tells it the water temp is beginning to drop.

Steve.

1 hour ago, Magnet said:

Believed on the engine block, near the rear of the alternator. Are you going to be replacing it yourself and doing the servicing work Kevin?  

I'll be doing it myself if it's not a difficult job

57 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi from memory you should have two stats one on the block and one on the water pump which is electronically controlled, its like a shroud that fits over the impeller and covers it when cold so the engine heats up faster, trouble is the shroud gets stuck wide open and can't start to close itself when the engine tells it the water temp is beginning to drop.

Steve.

I don't think that could be the issue. Timing belt and water pump was done in May this year and if its electronically controlled, I should be getting codes in which I'm not from the scan tool, if im correct in saying that. Must be the one Magnet said that's near the alternator 🤷‍♂️

22 hours ago, kevin0113 said:

please help, many thanks

Had the exact same issue with my 2010 Audi A4 Avant 2.0 tdi 143bhp a few years back. Ended up having to change both thermostats to sort issue out. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, kevin0113 said:

I don't think that could be the issue. Timing belt and water pump was done in May this year and if its electronically controlled, I should be getting codes in which I'm not from the scan tool, if im correct in saying that. Must be the one Magnet said that's near the alternator 🤷‍♂️

Hi you wont get a code up for the pump thermostat as its not monitored thats why they just boil up when it seizes shut, no warning other than the temp gauge going in to orbit.

Steve.