Car key issue

jjggh

Go to solution Solved by jjggh,

Morning all. My car key is playing up. It works intermittently. Just like there's no power to it. Yesterday I used the emergency key to get in the car but then the alarm went off and all lights were flashing. The power came back on the key and it was fine. I took it for a new battery but they guy said it was fine. Last night I swapped the battery into my spare (dead) key and it was working fine. I've just gone out and this key is doing the same. There's no reaction. No flashing on the fob. If I press all buttons for a few minutes it kicks back in and then works fine. Any idea what's going on? Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

Thankyou for your reply. My brother is a mechanic and he said the same. I booked in for it to be looked at. Was told to expect it to be not cheap. 

While waiting for the day, I decided to buy a new battery myself and try it. And it works. And the spare! I'm assuming the battery was almost dead and the one in my spare was dead so when I swapped them over that's why it worked intermittently. 

I'm cross with the guy in the key place though for telling me it wasn't the battery. He could have cost me a fortune  😫

• Like 2