Key resync after battery replacement not working....

Safara

Hi All,

I have a 2012 A3 2.0 tdi, and the battery in one fob was dead. So, I have replaced it with a new CR2032 battery, and clipped it all back together.

The little red light on the fob flashes once now when you press a button.

Reading in the manual, it says to resync it you need to press the unlock button, then manually unlock the car, then hit either the close or open button.

I have done this numerous times now and no joy.

Is there anything else to try before I need to think about getting a kar key person to look at it?

Cheers

Safara

16 hours ago, Shytot said:

I posted this link on another thread - https://www.youtube.com/shorts/osWj4f-Mn7g - might be worth a try?

also this one is slightly different to your method https://youtu.be/QkIdVobV_UI?si=z0dO4wwsFD8_HBsQ - again worth a try.

Hiya Shyshot,

No joy unfortunatly - tried both of these and nothing doing 😞

2 hours ago, Safara said:

Hiya Shyshot,

No joy unfortunatly - tried both of these and nothing doing 😞

That's a shame - it sounds like you need to get the door "connected" back to the ecu / entry system. The mechanical bits need the electronics! 

• Like 1

I have read of another method that is to put the working key in the ignition, turn it on. Then get out, close the drivers door and lock it with the key to resync. Then take it out and press the unlock button a few times.

Will try this and see what happens...

Hello Grant,

Sorry for the potentially pessimistic response, but I literally tried all the suggested methods I could find pre-Covid, in an attempt to recode the ‘spare’ remote for the humble A3 - failed - but fortunately the key still opens and starts the car, so given up on any ‘non- electronic’ re syncing! 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

Cheers Magnet - hmmm, thats a shame - it must have worked at some point I suppose....

So, if I just try everything I can find - and if none of that works, then ity is off to a ato key person to recode something....

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, cliffcoggin said:

Grant.

You said you changed the battery in "one" fob, implying that you have a second fob which works. Is that true?

Yepper 🙂
One fob is working fine.
Changed the battery in the spare fob. It works physically unlocking the door, and starting the car. Just the remotre buttons on it not working.

17 hours ago, Safara said:

Yepper 🙂
One fob is working fine.
Changed the battery in the spare fob. It works physically unlocking the door, and starting the car. Just the remotre buttons on it not working.

That confirms it is the fob that is at fault, not the receiver in the car nor the electric mechanism in the door. It doesn't get you any closer to a solution but at least you know the door card does not need to be removed or the wiring examined as is often the case with faulty lock mechanisms.

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, a6blacked007 said:

Did you get this sorted

I did thanks - and not quite sure how I did it. I think it was the following....

I opened the car with the working key. I put the broken key in the ignition, pressed the unlock button and turned the key on. Then took the key out and pressed the lock button and the car locked.

All is fine now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1