Back to Audi ...

Stranger here but no stranger to Audi, have had a number going back years - the last one an A8 4.0TDi - prior to that an A6 Avant, fancied a change so deserted to Jaguar having been a Jag fan since I got my first long trousers but could never afford one- yeh I am ancient.

Anyhow After 9 years in Jaguars - an ZF SV8 and an XJL I've had enough, the itch has been scratched, I was going to get into a Bentley or even a Rolls but I happened upon something that interested me. Bottom line I just dropped some coin on a 2015 S4 black edition Avant which is currently in 'preparation', car is already stage 1, just getting a full service and a couple of jobs done.

I've had a VAG product in some shape or form for the last 30 or so years - we also run a Passat B7 Estate - but a sensible 2.0TDi -

I don't know how many here work on their own vehicles but I try to do 90% of my own stuff, have owned VCDS for a very long time, never had to code anything as I always had a tame VW tech in my pocket that had the access to handle such things, alas he retired and is no longer able.

Anyhow happen I'll be around for a bit to see what the scene here is like.

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum you'll find the members on here are a friendly and helpful bunch 馃檪 funnily enough we're a Jag and audi family.聽

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I can't see me ever parting with the XJS but I'm no fan of the new Jag models, the XF suffered corrosion where it shouldn't and the XJ has been a money pit and has the most unreliable electrics I've ever encountered - which says a lot since the XJS you would expect to be the bad guy.

As far as the return to Audi goes still full of the new toy enthusiasm and looking for things to fix that aren't broken - perhaps I've become accustomed to always needing to fix something ... or addicted.

Edited by BenKenobi

Just now, BenKenobi said:

Yes V12 HE - 1987

s-l1611.png

Beautiful. I always liked flamenco red. It's got my favourite xjs wheels. They're only just getting the appreciation they deserve聽

Hey thats a beautiful Jag,聽聽

Always been a fan...聽 like yourself im just back to Audi but this time in a A8... nothing too flash as its 14 years old聽

Ive had a few A4's, 100's, 80's in the past, so no stranger to Audi.. ive been driving other VWGroup cars for a long time now

Family car is a Seat Alhambra, Ive had a couple of Seat Ibiza TDI Sports, VW Passats etc.

All great cars all with their own foibles and characteristics.

I had the use of a friends XJ Sport for a few months while he was out of the country, he always told me it was a great car as long as it was warmed up and cooled down properly every trip.聽 I found this out the hard way by being in a hurry to get somewhere and jumped in, turned the key and just drove off!!!!! 20 mins down the road it started overheating.聽聽
it was the only time there was ever a bit of trouble with the car. as long as it was respected and treated the way it wanted to be, it was a super comfortable amazing car for its age.

The XJS definitely a hands on car, we also have a Passat estate - and have had one for near three decades because they just do what we need them to, had a Passat B2 once upon a time.

The XJL is like driving a sofa, all the toys, plenty of presence but you can't leave it long without putting a battery maintainer on it, two weeks is stretching it and I really don't care for driving for the sake of driving because a car can kill a battery otherwise. When I say kill I do mean kill, the stupid systems in the car are not protected by all the so called tech and it will run the battery down to a voltage from which it will not recover. To make matters worse you cannot get in the boot (trunk for those in the US) without power - there is no externally accessible route. I won't bore anyone with the gory detail, Jaguar say there's nothing wrong but the third battery will be the last one I put on the car - it lives on the charger now I simply don't trust it. If it were used every day it would be a none issue, but it isn't.

Will the S4 have the same issues - I'm sure it will - difference being that I don't need to tear the car apart to get power into it should that prove necessary. I've left the Passat on the drive for 8 weeks and had no issue starting it, hoping the S4 will be similar though it won't get left that long.